1987 Gt Auto "drop Top" Is It Worth It?

mysd455

Dec 1, 2014
I've been involved with another brand of car and have not been following valves of 87 to 93's. I found ( It found me) a one owner 110k miles pretty solid all working 1987 for $2300. The shock towers are fine, little rust at the bottom of the doors, the top looks new and the inside looks good (even the ash tray is not broken) but it needs paint and a few small dents fixed. 100 percent stock with the window sticker, So that's the car...but is $2300 a fair price? Thanks for any input, She ( the owner)wants a yes or no answer soon or she is putting it for sale. God Bless her 80 years driving this car.

• Sponsors (?)

The floor seems solid, maybe one soft spot about one inch by two inch's where your brake petal would be. I've always had a hard time passing up on stock one owner cars. Being 55 I remember not two many years back 1977/78 Trans Ams 4 speed stock cars were a dime a dozen and sold for $4000 dollars. Then it seemed like overnight there weren't any cars left. And the price jumped 3xs. I saw the same thing years early with 69 Z28's and 70 Boss 302's. For the price of a middle of the road HDTV I'm going to take it. Being the owner is 80 (she told me ) I would feel funny trying to "beat her" up on the price, doing that is a one way ticket to hell for sure LOL

I would assume the torque boxes are fine, given that it's a one owner, old lady's car. I can just picture an 80 year old lady banging gears down the track! LOL! :rlaugh:

Reactions: 1 users
I would guess within the last 27 years be it the son-law or gas station repair man someone"tested" it out. What I can confirm is no oil leaks to speak of, no funny noise (either hot or cold). And the Auto shifts in overdrive. Having said that it could break down the day after I get it. If fact I had that very thing happen to me. Purchased a three year old Maserati GS coupe 5 years ago, Hired a tech to test everything. One week later the clutch and F1 pump went.....$5200 repair of a 22k mile car LOL. I thought I prep this car myself and then get it painted, repair the leather seats and have a nice Sunny day driver. This lady is something to deal with!, Husband passed away a few years back you would think at her age she be a little "softer" She's like dealing with Vinny-bag-of-donuts...I keep thinking she going to ask me "do I amuse you?" like Joe Pesci in that movie Goodfellas.

Hell for $2300 you could part it out and come out ahead. I'll bet if you open up the air filter box and look in the inner fender, you will see the plastic silencer baffle still in place. Bought mine about 2 years ago from an old man- same story 1 owner 44k miles. still had the silencer & distributor boot. Paid more than $2300 so you got a deal.

Found a problem, The headlights and fog lamps don't come on. The rear lights and brake lights work. I remember reading some were years ago that the light switch ford used would burn out because the fog lamps took to many amps.

the switch panel will pop out and you can put you meter on it to see if the switch is working or not. It is probably the culprit but it could also be fuse related.

I would assume the torque boxes are fine, given that it's a one owner, old lady's car. I can just picture an 80 year old lady banging gears down the track! LOL! :rlaugh:

I used to always tell me my grandma she could take my 5.0 out any time she wanted. I wish she had, that would have been f'n classic :rlaugh:

Well I got it, Funny how getting a cheap car can put such a smile on your face. I cant wait to make it as nice running and looking as I can by learning new skills. ( No checking cutting resto) There's nothing nicer then a middle age guy ( closing in on the start of old age) feeling 1/2 your age. Be it owning the Maserati, Porsche or Mercedes AMG I never got the "rush" of ownership as I do by taking something old and making it better. Way more fun then waxing a new car....The AMG wagon does come pretty close in the "rush" feeling.LOL I think that was a 11.8 1/4 factory stock car.