1987 gt, gotta make it faster, need help!

hey fella's just bought a 87 mustang gt,
just put a new tranny in it, t5
new 373 gears
new bbk long tube headers
new bbk h pipe
mac exhaust
and I have recently aquired a 93 OEM Cobra upper and lower intake
I also have msd coil, cap and rotor and wires
all fluids have been changed to royal purple..

should I get the gt40 heads?
what all should I do to get decent HP gains... there is a budget lets say 1500$ give er take

I am also looking to change the car from SD to a Mass Air system...

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Me personally i'd take a big chunk of that money and get a good set of aluminum heads.
Afrs, twisted wedges, edelbrock rpms, gt40x.
Shop well and you can find a good used set at a decent price.

The basis for all power gains is the heads, they are also the most expensive part. Once you get the big ticket item you can shop and find the cheaper stuff and piece it together.

I looked into a vortech... I think my engine is too high mileage for that...
now im thinking of just getting a whole crate engine and going from there
$1500 is way off on a crate engine.

Although i agree, if your engine is high mileage a vortech will exploit every weakness. Before you know it you'll be blowing oil out of every gasket.

The nice thing about doing a h/c/i swap is that the entire top end of your engine gets an overhaul in the process.
So if the car runs good now, it will probably run just as good after you are done if you do it right.
Then you can start building a shortblock in the mean time.

for sure doing the mass air conversion... another member has a kit for sale I am looking to purchase that today actually... gotta love forums to be able to buy stuff

I am thinking this year spending the money doing 5 lug conversion, aluminum driveshaft, disc brakes all around and maybe a maximum motorsports street/track suspension kit

How many miles are on that motor???

Because if you throw aluminum heads or a blower on top of a tired motor you will crack the block, or burn a piston, or burn a ring. It may work well for a few thousand miles, but in the end... Poof