1987 gt t-top restoration

this is gonna be a slow process but i want to start a thread. basically i want to do a wire tuck and shave all the holes in the engine bay. probably wont do any engine work, just a gasket kit and clean and paint. i think i may remove the smog, a/c and misc things(still researching what can go)maybe egr parts? i know if i want to sell the a/c is a plus, but it doesnt work and i dont want to sink a ton to get it to work. plus if it doesn`t work at time of sale then what`s the sense? here are a few pics so far, hope they work :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

getting it appart to get painted is the easy part, having the time to put it back together with new gaskets is the hard part.

Its a very costly undertaking to replace everything from drip rails to dew wipes to seals, but if you want it to looks new thats what you gotta do

yeah gaskets and things add up quick on the t-top cars, i`ll prob just get the complete kit. was thinking of scion purple color of the tc. should look good with the tan interior.... but i always wanted to do a diaganol paint scheme. from corner to corner so that one side it looks one color but from the other side a different color!! not sure if it could be pulled off? there is time for that though.

yeah gaskets and things add up quick on the t-top cars, i`ll prob just get the complete kit. was thinking of scion purple color of the tc. should look good with the tan interior.... but i always wanted to do a diaganol paint scheme. from corner to corner so that one side it looks one color but from the other side a different color!! not sure if it could be pulled off? there is time for that though.

If you plan on selling this when done I would suggest you keep the AC. I would look at your WOT relay and clutch on compressor. Common issue why AC dosent work.

When you get close to having all the holes filled and smoothed in engine bay I'd look into Dupont "fill and sand" primer. This stuff is really nice for getting everything even and sanding works like a dream.. I was really impressed after using this stuff.

If you plan on selling it in the future it would be better to stick with a single color or factory type two tone. Cars with custom paint jobs are usually are harder to sell due to the "eye of the beholder" factor