1987 LX: Brake Line

lancec2c30

May 14, 2008
Washington
The car is an 87 LX, I need to replace the drivers side brake line coming off the master cylinder and going to the brake hose in the fender.

The fittings and flares seem to be odd, because I went to Napa thinking I could just buy 2 feet of brake hose and make my own, but they said they don't carry anything like what I am after.

So does anybody know where to find what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
Lance

• Sponsors (?)

take the fittings off the old hose, put them on the new hose and flare the lines(you might need to rent the flare tool) You might want to try a different parts store or a different sales person.

Yeah, I may end up doing that. Only problem is the fittings are in pretty tough shape as well. Maybe one of the other parts stores sells new fittings in various sizes as well.

Thanks.

EDIT: I also wanted to ask about the flare tool. Can it flare backwards like the end in the picture I posted below? Or is something wrong with the line I have?

Here's the picture.

fox-3-3resize.jpg

That's a bubble flare...or a single flare. the MC connection is this style.

When you flare lines, don't use the cheap Autozone tools, you really need to go buy one of the better more expensive kits. You'd see why if you ever try to flare with the cheap parts store kits.

Classic tube has the line you need. I beleive i bought one for a '93 cobra for $25. Sounds steep, but it comes prebent and flares with the right fittings.