Progress Thread 1987 Mustang Gt "foxy"

Toole

Feb 21, 2016
Hey everyone! Been browsing these and other Mustang Forums for quite some time, figuring out fixes and trying to build up my Fox ultimately to how I want her. I've decided to comprise a bit of a build thread to show you how far I've come and what my plans are for "Foxy".

I purchased my Fox from the supposedly second owner. I’ve always been interested in this style of Pony Car and that interest grew greater when my dad became the owner of a 1989 LX. When I acquired my Fox Body (let’s call her Foxy from now on) I was happy to have a small muscle car to call my own.

Before I bought Foxy, she sat for ~7 years or so I was told. But once a battery was installed, she started right up and purred just like a cat. Since owning her, she’s run into some ignition issues, but I’m working on that more and more! She makes me smile every time I get behind the wheel.

Current Mods:

• BBK Short Tube Headers
  • BBK Subframe Connectors (Welded In)
  • H-Pipe (BBK?)
  • Dual Flowmasters (De-catted)
  • MSD Cap (Rotor Currently on Order)
  • Richporter Distributor (On Order)
  • SR Cold Air Intake with BBK Adapter (No MAF yet....)
  • Ford Racing 9mm Plug Wires
  • NGK GPower Spark Plugs
  • Street Fire Coil
  • Equus Volt Meter, Oil Pressure, Water Temperature Gauges
  • Kenwood Stereo with Rockford Fosgate Speakers
  • Edelbrock Upper and Lower Intake (Yet to be installed, currently building up)
  • 70mm BBK EGR Spacer and Throttle Body (On Order)
  • Speedmaster Billet Aluminum Fuel Rails
  • ROH ZS 17x8.5 Wheels (non polished rim)
  • Painted Monaco Blue Pearl (2001 Acura NSX Color)
  • Generic Ebay Short Throw Shifter

My ultimate goal is to get her running tip-top and then build up from there. I have a long journey ahead, but I've made great progress so far. I'll go over some of my most memorable (and sometimes frustrating moments) I've had so far.

This is how she looked right after I picked her up:

20150724_122658.jpg

20150724_140553.jpg

20150724_141545.jpg

20150724_140647.jpg

Right away there were some things I wanted to change, including the wheels. I gave her a much needed clean inside and out. There were some weird wiring bugs to deal with (Sub Wires, some sort of Kill Switch Wire under the dash) and I quickly got rid of those.

My first set of wheels after the Turbines were a set of 16" Ponies (sadly don't have any pictures). Then soon after I found a set of ROH ZS 17x8.5 on Kijiji and had to have them. They had a bit of curb rash and the clear coat is peeling, but I plan to refinish them before I mount new tires.

20150725_131615.jpg

20150725_133135.jpg

20150805_181847.jpg

It didn't take long for the mod bug to set in, and I started small. I did the regular maintenance of changing the oil, new coolant, new spark plugs and wires (NGK to begin with, but now Ford Racing 9mm). Then I went ahead and ordered a SR Performance Cold Air Intake and BBK Adapter from American Muscle. Also decided to change up the coolant hoses and went with a set of G-Plus Hoses.

20150731_175002.jpg

20150804_102233.jpg

20151018_090550.jpg

Now because of the sudden flow of coolant from the new hoses and the fact that Foxy had sat for so long, the dreaded heater core blew. I knew I could just bypass the Core completely, but I wanted to do this right. I stripped the interior (again) and swapped in a new heater core from The Mustang Shop. I also went ahead and installed the little yellow restrictor in the inlet hose to prevent (or even prolong) another blown heater core.

20151018_113411.jpg

During this time I also mocked up some gauges underneath the stereo. I started with just cutting the face plate a bit and fitting the Equus triple gauge holder in place. I eventually went with a steel machined bezel to hold everything in place. (Also started with a mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge, but that didn't last long when it leaked inside the car and coated the carpet in steamy oil :eeek:)

20150803_164040.jpg

20151018_131724.jpg

At this point I just drove the car and got a feel for everything. I noticed a slight lag in the power when hitting 2000-2500 rpms so I figured the baffle in the fuel tank must have come loose, but to my surprise everything inside the gas tank is still alive and well. I'm still stumped on this, but hopefully one of my ignition upgrades will fix this or even when I rebuild my injectors.

1987%20Mustang.jpg

Winter had set in at this time to Alberta and it was time to put Foxy to bed for the cold weather.

IMG_20151216_191143.jpg

This plan wouldn't last long though.... While back home in Nova Scotia, I picked up an Edelbrock Upper and Lower RPM Performer 5.0 Intake and I couldn't wait to get it installed.

20160102_142246.jpg

I knew at this point that most of the vacuum lines were rotted or brittle so I figured I'd go ahead and re-plumb everything and get her looking nice.

I started building up the Intake in my house when I realized that I'd have to start to take some things apart on the car in order to get an idea of where things went. So in the brisk cold air I suffered through many days of dismantling and installing parts between the two intakes.

20160127_182212.jpg

20160127_182620.jpg

At this moment I found out that the lower intake had a terrible leak towards the fire wall and I'm glad I found that out so I can fix it ASAP. The intake was going together great, and I ordered up a new BBK kit for the Throttle Body, EGR Spacer and TPS Sensor. Also ordered a Richporter Distributor and an MSD Rotor to go with my MSD Cap. Can't wait to get these things installed, since I'm currently out working up North.

IMG_20160124_223623.jpg

20160124_155723.jpg

While I was working on the intake I also picked up a new-to-me Radiator with Complete Shroud and Coolant Overflow. Scuffed it up and gave it a blast of Semi-Gloss Black and also painted the Rad Supports.

At this point and time I want to continue to clean up the Engine Bay. Starting with tucking of some wires, possibly painting it to match the body (Monaco Blue Pearl) and basically put everything back together. Gonna check out what the previous owner has done with the SMOG pipe that runs to the exhaust. If it's no longer there I'm removing the SMOG Equipment (Just the air pump, TAD and TAB and the hoses) to clean up the bay quite a bit. I'm also in the market for new tires. I'm going to be sanding and fixing the ROH ZS Wheels and would like to go with BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S all around. (245-45r17 Front, 275-40r17 Rear).

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

Well I've been busy with Foxy. Finished up on the intake manifolds and I have to say everything looks really good in my opinion :). The fuel rails were a bit of a b###h, but I managed to make them work.

20160214_103500.jpg

20160216_111132.jpg

20160216_111152.jpg

I also painted some misc. parts with Tremclad Hammered finish paint.

20160216_111155.jpg

20160216_111200.jpg

20160218_112813.jpg

I also started refinishing one of the wheels. I plan to do all four, but I wanted to get the worst one done first. I'm very picky when it comes to quality and time spent working on my stuff. Sadly in person I can see where some of the blemishes are, but they're just wheels after all. I'm going to wait on doing the other ones until I get a tire mounted on this wheel and see what kind of damage the tire installer does. (Hopefully none o.o)

20160216_114116.jpg

20160217_153238.jpg

20160217_165134.jpg

20160218_162609.jpg

20160218_165325.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
I've also been working on cleaning up the engine bay more and more. I've taken a lot of stuff out (SMOG piping and such). Moved the harnesses in the fenders and been rewrapping a lot of the harnesses. I was going to paint the bay in the Monaco Blue Pearl, but I've decided to use that Tremclad Hammered Silver Paint, since it hides blemishes and once it's dry I find it's pretty tough.

20160218_140807.jpg

20160218_140817.jpg

20160218_140815.jpg

20160218_140819.jpg

20160218_140809.jpg

Nice, I have the BFG G-force tires too but they are the summer versions not the all season like you have. Good start to the car overall. One thing I must add is that the ROH are decent wheels, I have the ROH Drift R's, but have to say their paint/finish sucks big time. Anyways, good luck with the build!

Reactions: 1 user
Nice, I have the BFG G-force tires too but they are the summer versions not the all season like you have. Good start to the car overall. One thing I must add is that the ROH are decent wheels, I have the ROH Drift R's, but have to say their paint/finish sucks big time. Anyways, good luck with the build!

Yeah I have to agree completely. I can still notice some of the flaws in the one wheel I did, but that's perfectionist me, it's just a damn wheel anyways.

Man. you have done more in one day than anyone I've ever known.

Nice build...Have you thought about swapping heads? You might as well while you have the motor torn down.

Thank you. I try and get as much stuff done as possible since sometimes days off are far and few apart. I would actually love to swap heads, especially since I have to tap the threads for one of the front holes. But I can't find any for a reasonable price since the Canadian Dollar is so crap right now...

Man. you have done more in one day than anyone I've ever known.

Nice build...Have you thought about swapping heads? You might as well while you have the motor torn down.

Oh and also I've had some of the pictures built up from the last week, so it might not have all been done in one day ;)

Reactions: 1 user