1988 Fox Radio Wiring Problem

So all you've pulled out so far is the amp right? So the harness is still there. You just need to take the two plugs that plugged into the radio. and pull that out the 1 foot or so to where the second group of plugs is, and unplug those. It will look like another set of radio plugs. After that the entire harness will come out.

Then just plug your radio into the plugs that remain.

You will lose your door speakers though.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Hello all-
Sorry about the delayed response. Holidays have everything in an uproar. Anyway, the wiring issue has been solved, thanks to all of your advice and help!
Here's what I discovered:
For the 1988 model, with premium sound/6 speakers, you need to order the wiring harnesses from crutchfield, making sure that it includes the amp bypass harness. The model I ordered was called: "Metra 70-5006".
I unplugged and removed stock radio by rigging two pieces of a wire coat hanger instead of buying the tool. I then removed the amp by unscrewing the two front facing bolts and sliding it forward. I unhooked both wiring harnesses and removed the amp.
Then, using the amp bypass connector (shaped more like a square than the others), I hooked it into the harness that once was connected to the amp. These I spliced to my speaker connectors on the radio harness.
Then, I connected the other harness provided (skinnier and more rectangle shaped) to the appropriate power connector that was once hooked to the stock radio, and spliced those to the appropriate wires on the radio.
After that, bam----sound in all speakers.
Thanks for all of your help! It was very much appreciated, and I got through this first trial! I'll be in more threads coming up as I slowly restore this car, so I'll see you guys around. Thanks again!

But I can't hear it! Sound, i want to hear how it sounds, or is it pics, yea pics I want to hear pics, no, see pics, thats it
Pics of your car. Every post must contain at least one car pic, 'cept mine it's to ugly,
Anyway, glad you got it figured out, ROCK ON:rock:
Or TALK ON for the rappers here.:shrug:
Now about that blower you want to install.

Haha definitely gonna be some Metallica coming through those speakers.
Here's a pic. Good ol Sony.
What blower?

Attachments

• 20161222_181222.jpg
    20161222_181222.jpg
    372.4 KB · Views: 195
Hello all-
Sorry about the delayed response. Holidays have everything in an uproar. Anyway, the wiring issue has been solved, thanks to all of your advice and help!
Here's what I discovered:
For the 1988 model, with premium sound/6 speakers, you need to order the wiring harnesses from crutchfield, making sure that it includes the amp bypass harness. The model I ordered was called: "Metra 70-5006".
I unplugged and removed stock radio by rigging two pieces of a wire coat hanger instead of buying the tool. I then removed the amp by unscrewing the two front facing bolts and sliding it forward. I unhooked both wiring harnesses and removed the amp.
Then, using the amp bypass connector (shaped more like a square than the others), I hooked it into the harness that once was connected to the amp. These I spliced to my speaker connectors on the radio harness.
Then, I connected the other harness provided (skinnier and more rectangle shaped) to the appropriate power connector that was once hooked to the stock radio, and spliced those to the appropriate wires on the radio.
After that, bam----sound in all speakers.
Thanks for all of your help! It was very much appreciated, and I got through this first trial! I'll be in more threads coming up as I slowly restore this car, so I'll see you guys around. Thanks again!

Do u have any pictures im in the sane boat