1988 GT Starter Problem

MustangNovice

Jun 9, 2011
Went to start my 1988 Mustang GT Convertible (74k original miles) today and when I touched the ignition, the belt lights came on and the car started making a very high pitch noise.. I immediately shut the engine off, but the high pitch noise continued for about 2 to 3 minutes and then just stopped. I was told that the starter stuck on, does that make sense?? If so, what causes such a phenomenon? Also, is there is any chance that the starter sticking on could/would damage the flywheel or another other mechanism or part? What can be done to fix this issue from recurring again? Thank you for your helps and assistance...

• Sponsors (?)

There was a FREE recall on Ford ignition switches. They overheat and sometimes catch fire. That burns up the steering column and sometimes the car interior. Since this is very old information, you may not be able to get the switch replaced for free anymore. The auto parts stores sell the switches for $13-$15.

Saleen0679 was nice enough to dig this up for us awhile back: Replace a 1979-1993 Ignition Switch Assembly