Progress Thread 88 Gt T-top- Project problem child

• Sponsors (?)

My boy is 5 now and he's just getting to the point were he can actually help . I figure I got a few months till it shows down. The main goal is to keep it driving. Don't want it to get lost in the garage

Couple miner updates, no pics yet.

Swapped out the 10+ year old CD player with a newer unit. Sounds much better, sad to see the po had spiced wires instead of getting the proper harness , oh well, maybe I'll fix it all later.

A quick fix, my dome light didn't work on my drivers door. Happy to find it was simply unplugged. Loudest door chime I've ever had. Probably why they unplugged it.

Wire wheeled all the ac hoses and started painting them. Hoping to finish the paint and maybe toss them off this weekend.

Side note, the idle is hanging a little high while slowing . Gonna try to drop it

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Found a few parts that should be here this weekend.

A factory overflow with the low coolant sensor

A washer bottle also with the low fluid sensor

A new power mirror switch

All should drop in easy and have a few more of the factory options working.

I installed the Ac lines along with new o rings. Still leaks, guess I'm buying the dye kit. But it blows COLD

you and me must have baught our cars from the same guy!! lol... mine came with the same horrible tail lights/purple tint and any number of other hillarities.... i got him to throw in GT and LX lights with the purchase tho.... ha ha ha.

The guy I got mine from was kinda wild. Told me it was a real cobra, kept talking about the crap mods like they were God's gift. Tried to tell me I had to run orange coolant. Lots of crazy crap. If I didn't want the car, I wouldn't have kept my cool with him. He kept casually insinuating that I was some kind of crook and that he couldn't trust me, even though I drove 11 hours and brought cash.

Last edited:
2 side notes.

Fixed the ashtray door, now it's a real car.

PUt stop leak in the Ac and so far so good. Frosted over the lines. Not sure if that's bad yet. It's 50 outside and I ran the car for an hour blasting the ac and its like ice in the cabin.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 234
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 237
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
2 side notes.

Fixed the ashtray door, now it's a real car.

Pit stop leak in the Ac and so far so good. Frosted over the lines. Not sure if that's bad yet. It's 50 outside and I ran the car for an hour blasting the ac and its like ice in the cabin.

big no no on the stop leak in the AC. IT will gum up the orifice tube and accumulator> better off fixing the leak instead.

Few parts came in. My power mirror switch now functions. I'll have to replace both my mirrors though, unless they are repairable? They just squeal and barely move. My guess is the switch had been broken and years of manual adjustment left the gears shredded.

From factory these would be trim/bumper black right?

Ok, kinda a forced mod/repair. The electric fan had a short. Had it all pulled and tore down before I found the short. So I got it to fit in the stock shroud.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.1 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 228
Almost forgot! Discovered my passenger side lock actuator was missing. Tossed a new one in. Learned the hard way that the $5 pop rivet gun from harbor freight was not up to the task lol

Reactions: 1 users
Ok fan rewired, put in stock shroud , controller and relay tucked in the area in front of of the air box. All wires ran inside bumper. Front rad support cleaned and painted. And a little work to the buck tag.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 227
Reactions: 2 users