1988 mustang trans problem t5

mryoung

Jun 9, 2011
I currently own a 88 mustang gt convertible. 5.0 5-speed 100,000 miles on body. 30,000 miles on rebuild. Ported and polished heads, big cam, bbk headers,bbk 70 mm tb, bbk x-pipe exhaust with 2 flow master 40 series mufflers, 373 gears its been lowered a few inches and recently i ran into a big problem that I'm not to sure what it is as of this moment. took the car in to have it service and they said that my drive shaft bolts where a Little loose i had a tail shaft seal leak, a lot of (play in the trans and shifter) but i thought it was in fine working order i drove the car about 85 miles then on the way back on the highway i wanted to make sure i was in 5th gear and so i took it out of 5th gear going about 65 mph and when i tried to put it back into 5th it would not go into gear so i pulled over then got back on the road and the car drove fine but when i arrived to local streets doing local speeds i heard a winding sound similar to the noise i hear when going into reverse but when i was in any other gear every so often. so recently i was on the highway going about 70 and i felt a slight gerk and then lost speed and had to pull over the car wouldn't move anymore and when i came to a stop i opened the hood and it was smoke coming from the upper left corner of the engine area. then when i let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes and started it up again i heard a loud noise so quickly turned the car off. also it wouldn't go into gear.so my dad pulled me home and right before we got there i pushed down the clutch and heard a weird noise while the car was off of course then when i pushed the car backwards into a parking space there was a trail that had not been leaking as much before underneath my car that i didn't see while going forward. if anyone could help me out as far as how much damage and what is wrong with the car i would greatly appreciate any help at all.

• Sponsors (?)

not sure I'm totally getting it totally. sounds like you either had a bad tailshaft seal or bushing ( not sure about the play in trans and shifter thing) you probally had play at the yoke if the bushing was really worn. sounds like it leaked out enough fluid and cooked the tranny. 1st check the fluid level, check for play at the yoke there should be very little side to side & up and down movement. if it moves alot or feels real sloppy then the tailshaft bushing is worn and needs the tailshaft hosuing removal to replace. also check the pinion angle since it's lowered, the drive shaft angle may be extreme causing problems. This is my guess going by what i'm reading, you may be looking at a tear down though.

Check tranny fluid level...or even if there is any at all.

Trans whine is caused by bearings overheating, usually caused by lack of lubrication. With a bad enough rear seal..this seems to be the case.

shifter

the slop in the shifter can be 2 things 1 if it a stock shifter there a rubber bushing between the shifter handle and the base 2 there a little cap under the shifter plate look like a tophat some time there wear out and give you slop