1989 351....Rods/Crank

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
Does anyone know how much power a stock 351 crank and rods can handle? its out of an 89' bronco.....its non-roller.

I have one in my backyard that supposedly only has 30k miles.:shrug:

I was thinking of going cheap and throwing a set of pistons on, looking for around 11:1.......obviously h/c/i also as i get cash.

Anyone have an idea? Just a project that i want to build as a back up for my next combo if i ever want to try n/a.:nice:

looking for about 450 rwhp max on the engine.:D

• Sponsors (?)

You didn't mention the application. Is it for "track only" purposes? Or are you just going to use it for the street? Street duty is a lot easier on parts. Track duty will really test them.

That said. I think you'd be pushing the limit a little by asking the OE parts to make 550 flywheel. I've been told that 450-500 flywheel is not too much of a problem for "properly prepped" parts, though. If you plan to replace some parts in the bottom end, the OE crank should be ok. Rods and pistons will need to come from the aftermarket, ie Eagle, Probe, etc.

Now, power-adders even the playing field a little. A supercharger can be made to make power below 6000 rpm, making parts abuse a lot less likely. OE 351w's don't like a lot of rpm's. Just not a good idea to spin them much past 6k, or so.

Remember to go a little bigger on heads and cam than you would a 5.0. More displacement naturally requires more airflow. Better yet, call some of the cam/head companies and see what they say. I built a 351w a few years ago for a 66 Fairlane that I had. I told the guy what hp I wanted to reach. He gave me a "recipe" for that hp level. Even told me what center squirter size to use in the carb and ideal cam duration/lift specs to get to that hp. They WANT you to be successful with their product and a little free advice will help them that way. Good luck

All this talk of 5.8ing a Mustang makes me want to do it. Sheesh!!!!!!