1989 Mustang GT Running Like a 4 Banger

89gt306

Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
Greetings,
I am a new member to this site looking for advice on my Pony. It has many modifications, yet I can barely even break the wheels loose. I'm wondering if the AOD is holding it back, if it needs to be dyno tuned with a chip? I don't know. Please help. Here's alist of what I have done.Everything has around 5K miles on it.

306 c.i.
RPM Performer 2 Intake
70mm TB and EGR Plate
76mm Mass Air Flow Calibrated to 24 #'s
AOD with 3200 Stall
BBK Cold Air
155 LPH Fuel Pump
24 # injectors
X-303 cam
MSD Distributor
Ported and Polished Heads
BBK Ceramic Coated Headers
BBK H-Pipe
Flowmaster Exhaust
3.73 Gears

• Sponsors (?)

STart by seeing if the computer sees anything wrong...

Dumping the computer diagnostic codes on 86-95 Mustangs

Revised 19-May-2009 to update drawing for dumping the codes on 86-88 Mustangs with no check engine light.

Dump the codes and see what the computer says is wrong…Codes may be present in the computer even if the Check Engine light isn’t on.

Here's the way to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

Be sure to turn off the A/C, and put the transmission in neutral when dumping the codes. Fail to do this and you will generate a code 67 and not be able to dump the Engine Running codes.

Dumping the Engine Running codes: The procedure is the same, you start the engine with the test jumper in place. Be sure the A/C is off and the transmission is in neutral. You'll get an 11, then a 4 and the engine will speed up to do the EGR test. After the engine speed decreases back to idle, it will dump the engine running codes.

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

See Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical

Underhoodpictures007-01.jpg

Underhoodpictures010.jpg

If your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

89 through 95 cars have a working Check Engine light. Watch it instead of using a test lamp.

attachment.php

The STI has a gray connector shell and a white/red wire. It comes from the same bundle of wires as the self test connector.

WARNING!!! There is a single dark brown connector with a black/orange wire. It is the 12 volt power to the under the hood light. Do not jumper it to the computer test connector. If you do, you will damage the computer.

What to expect:
You should get a code 11 (two single flashes in succession). This says that the computer's internal workings are OK, and that the wiring to put the computer into diagnostic mode is good. No code 11 and you have some wiring problems.

Codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

Alternate methods:
For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see Actron® for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Or for a nicer scanner see Equus - Digital Ford Code Reader (3145) – It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $30.

Welcome to the boards.

As you know, the ability to break tires loose has a lot to do with tire compound and about a hundred other variables. It's not a great barometer of performance.

There are several ways to pull codes. Some parts stores do it and Jrichker's post outlines ways to do it at home. I'd suggest the latter, so you can see the KOEO and KOER codes yourself, and run a cylinder balance test (just to do it since you have a fresh combo).

1989 GT 306 Running like a 4 Banger

Greetings,
I am a new member to this site looking for advice on my Pony. It has many modifications, yet I can barely even break the wheels loose. I'm wondering if the AOD is holding it back, if it needs to be dyno tuned with a chip? I don't know. Please help. Here's a list of what I have done. Everything has around 5K miles on it, including entire engine rebuild. This car has never ran right, even before the rebuild. I posted this on a local forum and I got a bunch of smart *** replies. I'm currently deployed and trying to come up with some answers so when I get home I can get my car running the way it's supposed to be. Please help?

306 c.i.
RPM Performer 2 Intake
70mm TB and EGR Plate
76mm Mass Air Flow Calibrated to 24 #'s
AOD with B&M Shift Kit and 3200 Stall
BBK Cold Air
155 LPH Fuel Pump
24 # injectors
X-303 cam
MSD Distributor
Ported and Polished E7 Heads
BBK Ceramic Coated Headers
BBK H-Pipe
Flowmaster Exhaust
3.73 Gears

Are you....

Are you still using TFI ignition? How is timing being controlled and what is your base ignition timing setting? Did you verify that you are using the correct firing order at the distributor cap? The EGR valve isn't leaking, is it?

Dumping the computer diagnostic codes on 86-95 Mustangs

Revised 19-May-2009 to update drawing for dumping the codes on 86-88 Mustangs with no check engine light.

Dump the codes and see what the computer says is wrong…Codes may be present in the computer even if the Check Engine light isn’t on.

Here's the way to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

Be sure to turn off the A/C, and put the transmission in neutral when dumping the codes. Fail to do this and you will generate a code 67 and not be able to dump the Engine Running codes.

Dumping the Engine Running codes: The procedure is the same, you start the engine with the test jumper in place. Be sure the A/C is off and the transmission is in neutral. You'll get an 11, then a 4 and the engine will speed up to do the EGR test. After the engine speed decreases back to idle, it will dump the engine running codes.

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

See Troublcodes.net Trouble Codes OBD & OBD2 Trouble Codes and Technical info & Tool Store. By BAT Auto Technical

Underhoodpictures007-01.jpg

Underhoodpictures010.jpg

If your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

attachment.php

89 through 95 cars have a working Check Engine light. Watch it instead of using a test lamp.

attachment.php

WARNING!!! There is a single dark brown connector with a black/orange wire. It is the 12 volt power to the under the hood light. Do not jumper it to the computer test connector. If you do, you will damage the computer.

What to expect:
You should get a code 11 (two single flashes in succession). This says that the computer's internal workings are OK, and that the wiring to put the computer into diagnostic mode is good. No code 11 and you have some wiring problems.

Codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

Alternate methods:
For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see Actron® for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Or for a nicer scanner see Equus - Digital Ford Code Reader (3145) – It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $30.