1989 MUSTANG RADIO WIRING INSTALL HELP PLEASE

biglg

Mar 13, 2006
I still havent got my car back from the shop. It has been in the shop for almost 2 weeks. So I cant look at the wiring. But I have my wiring harness to connect to the factory harness (it is two pieces, one gray and one black, both thin), and my new head unit. I have looked at wiring diagrams, and have a few questions. Again, I have an 89 gt convt with 6 speakers.

1. First, the HU harness, do I need to connect blue/white amp wire?
2. Secondly, do I need to connect the red and yelow together, or keep them seperate?
3. There are 3 orange wires on my wiring harness that plugs into the factory harness. So, the HU harness wires has an obvious orange/white illumination. The other harness that goes into the factory has 3 orange. It has orange/black says dimmer ground, it has an orange that says illumination dash, it has a orange/white that says dimmer. Which one of the orange wires do I connect to my HU orange/white wire? You would think the orange/white that says dimmer, just to match the color. But the diagram I have says do not use this wire. So do I use the orange, and connect it to the orange/white hu illumination wire?
4. Lastly, HU has 4 sets of speakers wires, how do I wire this since my car has 6?

Again, I dont have my car, and even if I did I might still be lost. I am trying to figure this out, and get all the wiring together I can before I get into the car. Please help me someone

• Sponsors (?)

biglg said:
I still havent got my car back from the shop. It has been in the shop for almost 2 weeks. So I cant look at the wiring. But I have my wiring harness to connect to the factory harness (it is two pieces, one gray and one black, both thin), and my new head unit. I have looked at wiring diagrams, and have a few questions. Again, I have an 89 gt convt with 6 speakers.
First, I must say that I like the choice of Mustang :D

biglg said:
1. First, the HU harness, do I need to connect blue/white amp wire?

The Amp wire only controls an aftermarket unit. If you are not running an amplifier in the car, there is no need for it

biglg said:
2. Secondly, do I need to connect the red and yellow together, or keep them seperate?

No, you never tie any of the wires together

biglg said:
3. There are 3 orange wires on my wiring harness that plugs into the factory harness. So, the HU harness wires has an obvious orange/white illumination. The other harness that goes into the factory has 3 orange. It has orange/black says dimmer ground, it has an orange that says illumination dash, it has a orange/white that says dimmer. Which one of the orange wires do I connect to my HU orange/white wire? You would think the orange/white that says dimmer, just to match the color. But the diagram I have says do not use this wire. So do I use the orange, and connect it to the orange/white hu illumination wire?

I remember thinking about this very same question. Since my radio has a manual dimmer [i.e. it's not controlled by the dash] I just hooked up the illumination dash wire to the HU

biglg said:
4. Lastly, HU has 4 sets of speakers wires, how do I wire this since my car has 6?

You will have to remove the factory amplifier wiring. If you just hook up the speaker connector to the factory plug, you'll get no sound. You can search for that very problem and find a few threads on it. It's easiest to go to www.crutchfield.com and ask them for the amplifier bypass wiring. This will allow you to have sound. To get all 6 speakers working, you can just tie the fronts together.

biglg said:
Again, I dont have my car, and even if I did I might still be lost. I am trying to figure this out, and get all the wiring together I can before I get into the car. Please help me someone

Good Luck