1989 Stang 5.0 - sputters while accelerating

PerryS

Apr 26, 2007
Car was stored for the winter (Oct - mid April). Changed the oil and filter and have been driving to work for the past two weeks.

Last nite was crusing around 80 mph, I floor it on the highway and was doing just over 110mph for a short period of time (10 seconds). Afterwards, the car felt weird ... a bit jerky.

Came off the highway and the car now sputters when I accelerate between 1k to 2.5k then it seems normal. Car run okay at idle.

Drove the car to work this morning and the sputtering is still there.

Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Help?

:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

My cam is stock but I put new lifter 10 years ago. Could it be that I need to adjust the lifters as they are a bit noisy after the run last nite.

Also, I am going to check the plugs, rotor and distributor tonight to see if any sign of damage.

Car was stored for the winter (Oct - mid April). Changed the oil and filter and have been driving to work for the past two weeks.

Last nite was crusing around 80 mph, I floor it on the highway and was doing just over 110mph for a short period of time (10 seconds). Afterwards, the car felt weird ... a bit jerky.

Came off the highway and the car now sputters when I accelerate between 1k to 2.5k then it seems normal. Car run okay at idle.

Help?

Take a look at the simple stuff first. Wires, distributor and plugs. Bad fuel can have the same effect....it doesn't explain why it was fine and then after getting run hard is not as it should be, but its a place to start!

BTW- Welcome to:SNSign:

mines doin it too!. Has been for a little while now. More of a hesitation really. From like 1200-2500. Ive done all wires, plugs, cap, rotor, tps, ACT, timing, fuel filter...... nothin. Im thinkin injectors, but I dont know...I guess ill just have to take it all apart and see

Mine was doing something similar a couple of years ago. Ran fine when started, but after a few minutes it started missing when over 2000 rpms or so. Ended up being a bad sensor (PIP?) in the distributor. Swapped out another distributor I borrowed from a friend and the problem went away. Ended up getting a good used one and now it runs fine. Just another thing to check.

Good luck on it, I know how annoying it can be.

mines doin it too!. Has been for a little while now. More of a hesitation really. From like 1200-2500. Ive done all wires, plugs, cap, rotor, tps, ACT, timing, fuel filter...... nothin. Im thinkin injectors, but I dont know...I guess ill just have to take it all apart and see

Mine had a simular problem, but a quick turn up on the timing and it was gone!

Help?

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.:D

So Thursday, checked the distributor cap, rotor, and wires, all looked fine.

Friday morning, fill up with 94 octane (previously filled up with 91 octane), but car still sputtering ... now from idle to full range.

Friday nite, started to remove all the spark plugs ... the first plug I removed looked wet but had a chipped insulator tip (hmm, I think I found the problem) ... there was also a lot of accumulation towards the back of that plug, so I hope all the chipped insulation collected there. All the other plugs were fine (no cracks or chips).

So back to normal now ... no sputtering ...

Thanks again to all.

:SNSign: