1990 5.0 Coupe wont run over 2000 RPMs!!!

slow90coupe

Apr 25, 2010
hey guys. i have a 1990 5.0 5 speed coupe that will NOT rev over 2000 rpms after the motor gets hot. when its cranked the first time cold it will run perfect for about 15 mins till it gets warmed up. then it will completely fall on its face and wont rev over 2k no matter how hard you try to accelerate and will bog out and eventually die. then if i shut it off for about 5 seconds and restart the car it will run fine and will rev as high as you want it to for about another 15 mins. then it will do the same thing again!! ive tried to pull codes but for some reason i cant get them with either a code reader or a paperclip. im guessing this has something to do with a sensor like a TPS or PIP?

all help is GREATLY appreciated. thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

The TFI module mounted on the distributor is usually the culprit for a high speed miss on a warm engine. If the problem does not occur when the engine is cold, the TFI module is definitely suspect. You may need a special socket to remove the TFI module, but most auto parts stores will have one for $5-$7.

Be sure to use plenty of the heat sink grease on the new TFI and clean the old grease off the distributor.

View attachment 208676

See Automotive Tools Specialty | Auto Mechanic & Technician Diagnostic, Testing Equipment | Thexton

I agree the TFI modules are very prone to causing problems but if it is bogging out that tells me it is dumping way too much fuel. In that case I would highly suspect the MAF, it has a heated element that can get dirty or go bad and it can give the computer a false reading. I suggest cleaning with some throttle body air intake cleaner and see if the problem changes or goes away. If it does change the MAF. Hope this helps!

thanks! ive already tried a new MAF and cleaned the IAC and tb. but never even thought of the tfi. i also have a adjustable fuel pressure regulator that ill try. i think one of those will definately solve the problem!