1990 gt

I just bought a 1990 Gt from a guy in the service, the car has never been titeled here in the states. He said the car was ordered by a Japanesse guy then shipped to Japan. The guy that I bought it from said he bought it in 2000 from the original owner (Japanesse guy) and drove it in Japan, in 2006 he returned from Japan with the car.

All the under the hood decals are in Japanesse along with all the documents that came with the car. I know nothing about cars that go over seas or Japan's standards. I'm in the process of getting it registered in Florida now. The car was registered in Japan to the guy I bought it from with an address of the USS Kitty Hawk as of 2006.

The mirrors on the car fold in (push of a button) and it has a light on the dash that lights up red with the letters EXH on it. Both of these features appear to be factory looking at the harness. Is this a rare car or was this an option on these cars in 1990 or was it fitted by an aftermarket shop for Japan. I bought the car as a toy and don't want to mess it up if it is rare or worth a little more.

Everything works on the car, seats don't have the lean, ash tray door is not broken, arm rest is like new, hood latch is still latching and etc. The only thing wrong is the door pins, do to the overall condition of the car I would be willing to say the mileage is correct too (83,xxx). the car also has 4 o2 sensors is that the norm for a '90 model?

• Sponsors (?)

Those are aftermarket add ons I beleive. Ford doesn't have provisions for Fold-in mirrors and and i'd like to see pics of that.

No idea what EXH is. "Exhaust"??

4 o2 sensors is factory however.

Thats strange! But normal for a japanese car. Back a few years ago when I was into Hondas, japanese or JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) parts and cars were very rare in the states and very popular now. Some of the same things you are taking about, folks here wanted with a passion. Honda made electronic folding mirrors and "city lights" for Honda Integras only in japan. Crazy how that stuff is found on a Ford. I'd like to see pics also.

-Mike

That is weird. The mirror is definitely not factory. Looks like it's off some other car.

No idea what EXH is

Where are the other 2 O2 sensors? I only saw two bungs. The ones under the first pair of cats are the factory location. Where were the other two?

Those taillights are rare. If it was me i'd take them off and squirrel them away before someone steals em.

That is weird. The mirror is definitely not factory. Looks like it's off some other car.

No idea what EXH is

Where are the other 2 O2 sensors? I only saw two bungs. The ones under the first pair of cats are the factory location. Where were the other two?

Those taillights are rare. If it was me i'd take them off and squirrel them away before someone steals em.

Two go into the pipes just before the first set of cats, then the other two go into the first set of cats. Look at the pics one view show the holes in the cats and the other shows the holes in the pipes.

How can I find out if I have a car that is factory and different from others before I start my project.

Two go into the pipes just before the first set of cats, then the other two go into the first set of cats. Look at the pics one view show the holes in the cats and the other shows the holes in the pipes.

How can I find out if I have a car that is factory and different from others before I start my project.

I have no true facts to support this, but my theory is as follows:

The car itself is nothing special, but had to be modified slightly to meet Japanese DOT standards for folding mirrors, amber signals and emissions. Fox Mustangs are not exactly plentiful in Japan and were never exported to Japan specifically so it would be a car that someone had brought there and then had it modified to be legal to drive there. No where have I ever seen or read about any Mustangs being equipped the way yours is.

I have no true facts to support this, but my theory is as follows:

The car itself is nothing special, but had to be modified slightly to meet Japanese DOT standards for folding mirrors, amber signals and emissions. Fox Mustangs are not exactly plentiful in Japan and were never exported to Japan specifically so it would be a car that someone had brought there and then had it modified to be legal to drive there. No where have I ever seen or read about any Mustangs being equipped the way yours is.

that's what i think too, but the tail lights have me thinking otherwise. how would they have amber in them unless ford specifically made them like that? i don't think you can just change the color of a translucent lens like that.

those are some strange modifications indeed... never seen another fox modded like that, i'd chase that "EXH" indicator light into the harness and see where it goes :shrug:

maybe try to find some info online about japanese DOT regulations or call an embassy or something...

that's what i think too, but the tail lights have me thinking otherwise. how would they have amber in them unless ford specifically made them like that? i don't think you can just change the color of a translucent lens like that.

That is true. Most mustangs sold overseas just came with LX taillights since they would meet the requirements of having an amber turn signals.

Ford only marketed the Fox Mustang in 3 countries. US, Canada and Mexico. Any other country had to have the car imported and then required to have certain mods done to meet the rules of the country.

The Mustang would then fall under a "grey market" vehicle in terms of import. While not sold in the country, a few mods would in fact make it legal. I only think amber turns in the rear is the only requorement. Fold mirrors are a convienence, not a requirement. No idea what EXH is. Prob a warning light for overheated cats.

That's what I'm thinking. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford has/had a special department for cars ordered specifically for overseas shipments. Too much of that car screams factory-specific rather than aftermarket-modified.

I disagree.

Only the taillights seems factory to me. Without a closer inspection, i can't really be sure.

The mirrors and switches and EXH light don't look factory to me at all. The mirrors don't even blend in seamlessly with the molding around the door and the switch looks like something a stereo installer would put in.

As for the decals, unless there are FORD ovals and trademarks on the labels, they could easily be done by an aftermarket company as well.

A while back there was a US-based 3rd party dealer who bought skylines from Japan, imported them, made them meet US regs and then sold them off. They had no affiliation with Nissan, but made the changes on their own. They even had to go as far as crash test a few of them to prove they were road-worthy. Unsure if Japan would require a crach test, but perhaps some company was importing Mustangs to Japan?