1990 just bought need some advice thanks!

dakrt123

Jul 3, 2006
Hey I just got a reallly good deal on a 90 gt 5 speed, its pretty hurt but the body is straight. My questions are one, The transmission is hard as hell to put in all the gears and grinds allllot! do i need a new tranny(obviously) or could a clutch replacement help this to? Also, i took a look at the heads and they are cast iron but i dont think they are e7s the driver side says 11 and the passengers side says S are these anything special It also blows smolke a little so im counting on a rebuild eventually,but is there anyting to do to get rid of that for now? THANKS! p.s. is a manual disc brake conversion worth it? For weight reduction, the car already has all mandatory deletes but was condsidering this thanks.B

• Sponsors (?)

hmmm grinds? might need the synchros rebuilt and the clutch fork coming apart so id say a rebuild on that tranny. On the heads I think the e7's only come aluminum but i could be wrong.
Does it smoke when you punch it or at startup?no real quick fixes for that might just have to get it resleeved.
Extra stopping power is always good but it looks like you have your work cut out for you. good luck! :nice:

Yeah i think im just gonna buy a whole t5 from ebaymotors, does anyone know if a world class t5 will bolt right up to a 90 gt 25th or it doesnt matter if its worldclass/ regular t5

I'd consider the clutch before the trans itself, since all gears act equally difficult. If it was just one or two gears, I'd say differently.

Good luck.

i agree a bad clutch or clutch fork can cause a world of problems.make you think its about ready to come apart.e7s are not aluminum and the letters e7te are only visible on the bottem of the heads so just looking at the front really wont say alot for the e7.other heads sometimes say something. shouldnt have to resleave motor. most roller motors can actually only be reringed and be fine.but just to be on the safe side have a machine shop check it.you may get away with rering or .030 overbore.

dakrt123 said:
Thanks alot, So trying to shift right now is a bad idea, ?this is just a toy at this point so its not my driver, I should prob not shift at all?
You can try to adjust the clutch right now by pulling up on the clutch pedal. This will pull slack out of the adjustment if you have the stock quadrant and pawl.

If you dont have the stock quadrant, you can adjust either the cable (at the fork) or the FWA (you should have one or the other with an aftermarket quadrant).

If that doesnt help, I'd toss a fresh clutch in.

Good luck.

thanks alot ima try that, i just realized that it grinds in mostly 2nd and reverse but its hard as HECK to get into gear with clutch all the way down. But what do you want for 500 bucks right?