1990 Mustang Lx On3 Turbo Dyno Tune

Yeah my intercooler is covered pretty good...I run Meth injection tho...that cools the in coming air down alot...plus its like running a 116 octane...that helps alot in tuning...i can run more timing...and more boost...it was a good addition to my build...

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah my intercooler is covered pretty good...I run Meth injection tho...that cools the in coming air down alot...plus its like running a 116 octane...that helps alot in tuning...i can run more timing...and more boost...it was a good addition to my build...

you ever tried E85?

I'm sticking around 10-12 psi, not that the PSI indicates true amount of power, but just a general goal. It's a stock block motor (~60K), home ported and polished iron GT-40 heads, port matched GT40 upper and lower, 75mm throttle body, egr delete, full exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, 42lb injectors, ect, ect. I'm going with a custom grind cam for the turbo and am switching to a Megasquirt system (SD) instead of sticking with the stock ECU and doing a piggyback system. Goal is around 450-480rwhp.

I'm sticking around 10-12 psi, not that the PSI indicates true amount of power, but just a general goal. It's a stock block motor (~60K), home ported and polished iron GT-40 heads, port matched GT40 upper and lower, 75mm throttle body, egr delete, full exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, 42lb injectors, ect, ect. I'm going with a custom grind cam for the turbo and am switching to a Megasquirt system (SD) instead of sticking with the stock ECU and doing a piggyback system. Goal is around 450-480rwhp.
Sounds good.... My opinion tho dont waste your time on a custom cam....Not needed plus you have a stock block you will make enough HP to split that in pieces with a stock cam...I run a stock Cam i make plenty of HP....and the car drives just like stock ....until well you get on it.... ;-)

I wish I had that choice, but the car already had a supercharger setup with either an E or F cam in it, and not stock cam in sight :)

Keep the cam you have dont waste your money...especially because you have a stock block...unless you were going with a different block then yes...just bolt the turbo up get a tune and call it done...

If I wasn't going turbo for both the power and driveability, I would, but I'm looking to get rid of the choppy idle. I don't mind some lope, but the cam that's in it right now is pretty wicked. It's a bitch to tune.

Now you got me thinking...... Since I'm going Megasquirt SD anyhow, the whole reason for getting a milder cam might be pointless.

I have been doing research on turbos for our cars for yrs..LOL...read alot of posts...and tons of results...Ever time i read one and people are using a stock block like me and you...they say with the turbo you will make enough power to split it in 2 !!!!! with a stock cam...so whatever cam you have is fine...LOL....throw that money into the tune....

Granted, I don't go to races and don't see many race cars in my area (drag strips aren't close to me) I do know the C6 is a damn good and strong transmission. I live in a very hilly and very agricultural minded area, so I get plenty of transmissions coming in my shop that have been over worked and abused so I know which transmissions are good and what aren't. Hell I've got a C6 in my truck and it's holding up good and I know what kind of abuse I throw out to it, plus the transmission was built probably 10 or more years ago by my dad so obviously they're reliable.

And you said the TH400 would bolt right up with the right bellhousing. The Th400 doesn't have a removable bellhousing so you'd have to go through the trouble of cutting off the factory bellhousing and bolting on an aftermarket one with the pump bolts (which I don't like that idea, I think it would put too much strain on the pump area). Also, the torque converter bolt pattern obviously isn't gonna work (Ford uses 4 studs, GM uses 3 bolts) so there's an adapter right there or start drilling some holes. Just seems like a lot of work when a C6 will bolt right up.

i missed this...
im not denying a C6 is a strong transmission... just that a TH400 is a BETTER trans. ive seen a TH400 behind a roughly 3000HP motor making pass after pass after pass! you wont find anyone putting a C6 up to that

I have been doing research on turbos for our cars for yrs..LOL...read alot of posts...and tons of results...Ever time i read one and people are using a stock block like me and you...they say with the turbo you will make enough power to split it in 2 !!!!! with a stock cam...so whatever cam you have is fine...LOL....throw that money into the tune....

I've been wanting to do a turbo mustang for years :) Have done plenty of research and plenty of prior experience with N/A and turbo, and you're completely correct, a stock cam will support enough power to split the block with enough boost. I'm one of those perfectionist type people though. I like my motors to be as efficient as possible, aka flow as well as possible, so heat and stresses are minimized. I also prefer a flat powerband with a smoother idle. I'm over driving a car with a finicky idle, guess I must be getting older. Thanks for your input man! I'm going to have to consider my cam choice (or non-choice) a little more.

No problem...I have a set of Trick flow 170cc heads ported and polished, it has alot of bowl work.They flow nice.....and a trickflow street heat intake...but a stock cam...LOL...I run 14 psi and i made alot of HP they backed it down a little to save my block...lol But i was over 500 to the rear wheels..thru an AOD....now im a little lower a more conservative tune you might say....:)

i missed this...
im not denying a C6 is a strong transmission... just that a TH400 is a BETTER trans. ive seen a TH400 behind a roughly 3000HP motor making pass after pass after pass! you wont find anyone putting a C6 up to that
Well anybody making 3000 HP has enough money to have all billet hard parts in that trans. You could build a C6 to handle a lot of power but yeah, not sure about 3000 HP lol. There's nothing around here like that except one Guy has an alcohol Corvette that snapped the wheelie bar launching it. It's crazy fast

I've been wanting to do a turbo mustang for years :) Have done plenty of research and plenty of prior experience with N/A and turbo, and you're completely correct, a stock cam will support enough power to split the block with enough boost. I'm one of those perfectionist type people though. I like my motors to be as efficient as possible, aka flow as well as possible, so heat and stresses are minimized. I also prefer a flat powerband with a smoother idle. I'm over driving a car with a finicky idle, guess I must be getting older. Thanks for your input man! I'm going to have to consider my cam choice (or non-choice) a little more.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why you would build a turbo motor without forking out the extra money for a turbo cam. You might spend, what, another $300 for it? After spending all that money for a system, $300 is a wise investment. I quoted you because I like your statement about efficiency. Sure you can do all that with a stock cam, as MY 85 GT has proven, but I can only liken that to having the body of an Olympic sprinter and the brains of a chimpanzee.