1990 New 3.73 Install

jhart

May 3, 2015
I had a Ford racing 3.73 installed in my 1990 notch and when I'm off the gas going around corners the rear end is howling like crazy. I have only driven it about 75 miles since the install. Do I give it more break in time or get it back to the shop?

• Sponsors (?)

I had a Ford racing 3.73 installed in my 1990 notch and when I'm off the gas going around corners the rear end is howling like crazy. I have only driven it about 75 miles since the install. Do I give it more break in time or get it back to the shop?
Take it back to the shop. 75-miles is plenty for break in. Could be anything from a poor install, to a worn pinion or axle bearings....which should have been changed during the install.

Thanks, the guy that done the install told me he did not like the bearings that came with the kit so he used the old ones. That kind of threw me off.

Thanks, the guy that done the install told me he did not like the bearings that came with the kit so he used the old ones. That kind of threw me off.

You need to kind of throw the guy off a bridge.

He more than likely cheesed because he didn't want to go through an extra necessary step. It's not easy to get those bearings off, and I'd bet that was the real reason they're still there, not because he didn't "like" the new ones.

Reactions: 1 users
You need to kind of throw the guy off a bridge.

He more than likely cheesed because he didn't want to go through an extra necessary step. It's not easy to get those bearings off, and I'd bet that was the real reason they're still there, not because he didn't "like" the new ones.
I would blast this guy as Mike said, no reason those bearings should have been put it. I would seriously be questioning the rest of the setup in the rear as well...

I would blast this guy as Mike said, no reason those bearings should have been put it. I would seriously be questioning the rest of the setup in the rear as well...
Yeah, It's probably too late now even if he did go back and replace the bearings that he "didn't like". Besides, if that's his work ethic, it's probably his gear setup that's making the noise, in addition to the fact that he didn't do what he should've.

(What a goob,....I don't like the way he looks either)

Agreed, I would be seeking new gears from him at this point. The problem is once they have a wear pattern in them that isn't correct, good luck setting them up properly now. I always set up used gears on the coast side as the wear on the drive side prevents you from getting a good pattern. Judging by the fact that he was too lazy to pull the carrier bearings, it's likely that he doesn't have a clue how to get this right...