1991 Thunderbird-same engine???

1994Vib.RedGT

Aug 19, 2004
Denver, CO
I saw on old buddy of mine today, and he had a 1991 Thunderbird which I knew had a 5.0, but I thought a different variation of it. He opened the hood and to my surprise, the intake manifold was the same damn one, and the engine looked extremely similar. In stock form is the 5.0 in our cars the same as in the 91 v-8 thunderbird?

• Sponsors (?)

The fox body motors have the different intake manifold because it will fit under their hoods.

We have the thunderbird intake because the fox body one won't fit under the SN95 hood.

I don't know about the internals though. I haven't heard anything concrete about that. The only thing I know is the 89-92 fox body motors had forged rods/pistons & cast crank.
Scott

I ran a 91 T-bird motor... Sorry fellas its got Hypo pistons not forged... they used the 91 T-bird as a tester for the engine for the upcoming 94-95 Mustang. Cam is the same as the 93-95 Cobra but with 1.6Rockers so to make the lift right you need 1.7's of course. The accessory bracket for the alt is different and the EGR crap is the same runs off the header (at least on my engine) TB is different (just the linkage) Any questions feel free to ask I did about a good year research on it because I was going to use it for my own personal V6 to V8 swap because I got it from a junkyard for 50 bucks compared to 300 for the Mustang motor... what fools... :)