1992 2.3L Clutch Adjustment Question

slow67

May 31, 2003
I recently bought a nice little 2.3L but the clutch bugs and I need to know how to adjust it or if it can be adjusted to fix my issue.

The clutch will only engage @ the top 1" of the pedal, there is no gradual engagement, when you go to drive off from a stop you only have about 1 to 1 1/2" of "bite" and that little bit isn't smoot either, it's a sudden grab.

What do I need to do?

It doesn't grind any gears or smell or chatter or anything, it's just there is no gradual engagement.

Help me, it bugs.....

• Sponsors (?)

There really isn't any adjustment in these from the factory. Supposedly you can pull the pedal up toward you until it clicks, but I never had much luck with that on my old car (of course, the clutch always worked nice on it)

BTW, the clutch in my thunderbird is very grabby (hydraulic), it's always been like that...I've pretty much just had to learn to live with it because I can't change it.

I've had the car for 5 years and I still stall it out from a stop on occasion :doh:

Supposedly you can pull the pedal up toward you until it clicks, but I never had much luck with that on my old car (of course, the clutch always worked nice on it)

I tried the pedal click thing last night, it grabbed a little better, but it just seems odd that it grabs so high up on the pedal.

I may have to break down and buy a service manual/Haynes/Chilton and do some reading.:(