1992 5.0 automatic trans fluid???

ja1919

Jul 26, 2004
what kind of transmission fluid do i need for my 1992 GT 5.0 Automatic. I have a 2800 stall converter. Do i need a performance fluid for the converter. Or can i just use the factory fluid, which is what type?? thanks scott

• Sponsors (?)

There are two basic types of ATF:
1) DEX / Mercon = Ford and GM
2) ATF+4 (?) = Chrysler specific ATF

(I forgot the name for DCX atf, I can't believe it)

Anyway, You can run the basic stuff or something from one of the namebrands, in the formulation specific to your automotive manufacture. Both will do the same thing and both will need to be changed every 5,000-15,000 miles depending on how hard you drive your Mustang.

Type F...? It might be the same as Dex / Merc just under a different name.

Best thing you can do is go to a autoparts store and have them help you since it's been a year since I have bought a bottle of ATF.

ja1919 said:
what about type F???

Type F is for the older FoMoCo automatic tansmissions that used asbestos bands and clutches. When Ford changed over to organic components like GM uses, they shifted over to the GM type of transmission fluid.

(Do not put Type F in a modern transmission!)

I bought Valvoline ATF Dexron 3/Mercon...It says, Exceeds GM Dexron 3-H, all previous Dexron standards and Ford's Mercon, M2C116H and M2C138CJ fluid requirements. Meets caterpillar TO-2 and Allison C-4 requirements...This OK??

I think your AOD needs Dexron?Mercon 3. Do not use Type F or FA, it is less slippery than Dexron and will cause grabbing and chattering.

You could look at Mercon 5. It is semi synthetic and withstands higer heat than 3. It is an upgrade for 97 and up AODE and 4R70W trans. Supposedly not good for the seals on older ones.