1992 Ford Mustang 5.0 Questions

hey i've been looking for a 87-93 GT and i keep focusing on looking for one with under 100K. i just figured the lower the mileage the better right? i know it really depends on how the car was driven but about what mileage does stuff start to go wrong on the car? and how can i have a car checked out before i buy it?? what shops would check it for me??

• Sponsors (?)

What was the past speedometer on the cars prior to 1990? Was it 95? If it is 95, can the car go faster than 95? What are some other basic mods besides exhaust and intake that would work equally well on both cars?

I'm looking to spend around 3 grand. Heres some kelly blue book prices I came up with that a private owner might offer.

87 GT KBB Value (80,000/Good) is $1710
88 GT KBB Value (80,000/Good) is $1910
89 GT KBB Value (80,000/Good) is $2135
90 GT KBB Value (80,000/Good) is $2705
91 GT KBB Value (80,000/Good) is $3030
92 GT KBB Value (80,000/Good) is $3385

Millage doesn't really matter. The car can have 10,000 miles, but has been sitting for 10 years, thus the seals and such would be dried up. On the other side if a car has 120k miles, daily driver, it won't be in the same shape as straight from the factory. But the 120k car may be in better shape than the 10k one.
All you can do is inspect the car and take it for a run. If it knocks, puts blue smoke out the back, or the owner seems lost about the car, I would think twice about it.

Cobra18 said:
What was the past speedometer on the cars prior to 1990? Was it 95? If it is 95, can the car go faster than 95?

up til about mid-1989, V8 Mustangs got an 85MPH speedo.

Yeah, the car will easily go well past that. I used to peg out my old 85MPH speedo in 2nd gear with my AOD when i had 2.73's.

Cobra18 said:
I know on the 1/4 the car would have to exceed 85. Whats the needle do, just sit their at 85? Can it break or anything?

No, it's magnetic. It just wraps around til it hits the needle rest post and then bounces off it. I've had my '88 well into triple digit speeds in my younger stupider days.

You can always upgrade speedometers later. I now have a 140MPH in my car, and yet, i barely go over 90 these days. How ironic. :shrug:

Needle stops...but you keep accelarating...and to your passengers (possibly yourself)...it seems faster than if you were sitting in (for example) a 91 5.0 because the 85 mph speedo will be "pegged" way before that 140 would be...but they both will do the same thing... :nice:

Good Luck finding a reliable 5.0 for those prices that is in good shape...A friend of mine got a 90 gt (for $1900) and it has been nothing but problems...overheating...engine seized...trans syncros went out... :bang: ...but that is because he didn't look over the car to well when he bought it...and it was not taken care of...but you can luck out if you just look around...

where is a good place to take a mustang to get checked out before i buy it? i mean im not exactly what you'd call a mechanic. i can spot somethings but there's so much i dont know understand? i could easily get caught up and buy a car that looks good but has tons of problems