1993 Mustang Factory Radio Not Working

akfodysvn

Founding Member
Mar 25, 2002
Kansas
Still Looking for help but thought I would start a new thread vs bumping a thread w/ an odd title:

My radio will not turn on and I can not figure out why. I bought the car in the last few weeks with the radio not working. It randomly turned on one time but then died about 30 seconds later. I have tried a second radio that the individual told me works... but I can't prove that it does.

I have good power to the radio. Both power wires are good, constant 12v and the ignition on has 12v power. Both grounds on the same connector are good.

I checked and their is power to the amp itself. (white/purple wire)

Continuity for the 8 wires wrapped in blue from the head unit to amp are good... no opens or excessive resistance.

Ground on the connector at the amp is good.

fuses 4, 8, 11, 17 are all good

The dimmer function works and it backlights the radio and dims it when adjusted. There is simply no indication that the radio is on.

• Sponsors (?)

Time to hold a funeral and bury the dead... with honors...

The Mustang OEM radios seem to be an odd product, I have been told, but cannot verify that other Ford radios of the same appearance will not work. Having looked at the connector diagrams, I don't think that is completely true.

Crutchfield.com is a great place to buy a replacement radio/CD or tape player. They have all the harnesses and other parts you need to do the install as well as good tech support .

Why exactly would you want to attempt to revive a 20+ year old radio anyway? I remember the one I had in my 87 could barely be heard over the sound of my exhaust. Roll the windows down on top of that and you might as well just turn it off. I wasn't long getting rid of it for something aftermarket.

Because my car has 30k miles and I want it to look original. I highly doubt that both of these radios are bad. Something else is going on. I don't need a crazy sound system just a few tunes. I also don't want that :poo:ty aftermarket panel that is required to fit a modern radio that requires you to drill holes into your console.

I need to swap my radio into another fox to see if it works.

Is the radio display working? Such that you see the indicated radio station? If all else seems normal with the radio then most likely it is the amplifier. They put it in a really :poo:ty location and it is prone to corrosion from various liquids (cowl leaks, coffee, soda, etc.) Don't ask me how it gets in there, but it does. A while back I obtained a good used one from a member here to fix up my customers old Roush. If you are adventurous, you can use a scope to check for the amp inputs from the radio and that'll tell ya right quick.

At work, can't really pull up wiring diagrams...

but see if any of the ones in this thread make sense.

Have the wiring diagram. That is how I'm checking wiring. Thanks!

Is the radio display working? Such that you see the indicated radio station? If all else seems normal with the radio then most likely it is the amplifier. They put it in a really ****ty location and it is prone to corrosion from various liquids (cowl leaks, coffee, soda, etc.) Don't ask me how it gets in there, but it does. A while back I obtained a good used one from a member here to fix up my customers old Roush. If you are adventurous, you can use a scope to check for the amp inputs from the radio and that'll tell ya right quick.

The radio display does not work... no clock time or radio station shown.

I have pulled the amp already. In a 93 it is VERY easy to get to under the seat as just 2 bolts hold it down that are very visible when you move the seat back. Previous models had it under the dash as you are referring to (the football amp).

I opened up the amp and it appears okay. All the cold solder joints are in good shape. I used to work aircraft avionics but as always you can never tell with a visual check.

How are you saying to check the amp? A scope? I am having trouble finding how to check to see if the amp is good. From the wiring diagram and other threads if the amp is bad the radio will show stations/times but no sound. Have not found a thread where if the amp is bad that the display will not come on.

Tonight I plugged the radio into my buddies 93 and it powers on fine. He has an aftermarket radio installed so we just disconnected the aftermarket harness and plugged mine in to the stock harness. I do assume that his amp had the bypass harness installed but not certain as I didn't bother to look

Have you tried wiggling the various connections to see if they produce a response? I'd check the connections and wiring behind the head unit as well as down to the amp.

I seem to remember than either the amp, or the radio had a wire which triggered the other to turn on. I wonder if there is an issue with your amp. Do you have a friend that would let you try that out on your car?

Since you said that the radio works when you put it in another car, it is possible that the problem is with the wiring or switched power.

Are there other electrical things that don't work, like wipers, heater, A/C, turn signals?
If you do a voltage check of the power for the radio and wiggle the ignition switch while checking the power, does the power come and go or change?
If so you may an ignition switch problem.

ford-radio-harness-wiring-gif.68894

Have you tried wiggling the various connections to see if they produce a response? I'd check the connections and wiring behind the head unit as well as down to the amp.

I seem to remember than either the amp, or the radio had a wire which triggered the other to turn on. I wonder if there is an issue with your amp. Do you have a friend that would let you try that out on your car?

Yes I have tried moving the wiring to see if there is a short in certain positions. Moving he wires does not make any changes.

There is a blue wire from the radio to the amp that is not labeled on any diagram.

Since you said that the radio works when you put it in another car, it is possible that the problem is with the wiring or switched power.

Are there other electrical things that don't work, like wipers, heater, A/C, turn signals?
If you do a voltage check of the power for the radio and wiggle the ignition switch while checking the power, does the power come and go or change?
If so you may an ignition switch problem.

ford-radio-harness-wiring-gif.68894

I will check again. I doubt it is any ignition switch problem as the radio gets the constant 12v power and once the key is turned is has the appropriate 12v power.

I am going to check the speakers to make sure none of them are shorted. Then I am going to turn the key to the on position and check for power on the speakers. If he speaker wiring has no power, then it may be the amp. I just haven't found anyone with a similar problem to where the radio won't come on due to the amp. It seems the typical amp problem is when the radio comes on but no sound.

I am having the exact same problem with my 93 triple white, did you ever find a solution? Was it a short in the speakers? I have tried everything that you have, including taking the radio out and cleaning all the connections. it was randomly working for a few months and now it's stopped altogether