1994 GT Fuel Pump Issue

Hughy

Jan 8, 2013
I have a 1994 GT. The other day I was driving down the highway, went over some railroad tracks and my car died. Tried to restart and noticed the fuel pump wasn't priming. Thinking back, I remembered this happening at a stop sign about a week earlier but I was able to get it running again but seemed like I had to keep my foot on the gas or it would die. I checked the wiring harness at the fuel tank and I was getting 9.5 volts so I figured that was good (I later read it takes 10.5 before the pump will kick on, not sure if that's true). I replaced the fuel pump and still no prime when the key is turned on. I jumped the old pump off the battery and it spun so obviously that wasn't my problem. I did some crude testing of the CCRM and it seemed like I was getting 12 V on the pin that provides power to the pump but when I tried to use a wire to jump it the voltage drops. Checked the ground on CCRM with ohm meter and it seems good (no resistance). If I jump a wire from the battery straight to pin 5 on CCRM then the pump comes on so I assume all the wiring from CCRM back to the pump is good. Bought new CCRM, no prime. So basically new pump, new CCRM but still no prime. Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

So go ahead and sign me up for the moron of the year award. Apparently the fuse panel diagram I printed off was labeled wrong and I was checking the wrong fuse in the engine fuse panel. I lost the one I had originally printed off so pulled one up online just to double check before I started cutting wires to hard wire power to the fuel pump and what-a-ya know, I was checking the wrong fuse. So I don't know what popped the fuse to begin with, maybe I still have a bare wire somewhere just waiting to short out again but I guess I will just wait and see. I don't mind that I replaced the fuel pump because it had 180,000 miles on it but buying a new CCRM that I didn't need kinda stings. Oh well.

Reactions: 1 user