1994 Gt Smoking And Running Rough. New Ecu?

Stangboi

Sep 24, 2015
Hey guys first post so bear with me lol. Have a 94 GT with about 180xxx miles. the guy before me abused it pretty badly. It smokes and runs rough the guy said it was bad injectors. We've replace the injectors, PIP in the distribute, distribute and wires, idle air control motor and both coolant sensors. pulled a plug it was fine just black. Its running really rich, it smokes heavily and smells like gas. Took it out for a drive after we changed those parts and it still had all the same issues. I drove for a bit and stalled it turning around to go back home and it wouldn't turn over. for about 2 mins after it wouldn't even click when i turned the key, like the battery was completely dead. then after a few minutes it cranked but wouldn't turn over at all. had it towed to a shop, they run their tests and said they think I have a bad ecu. they said the car thinks the engine is 32 degrees when it starts up and is just dumping fuel. so before i got a new one wanted to ask if you guys think that will solve the issues of it running rough and not cranking after it was warmed up. I thought its possible something in the ignition for it not starting after it warmed up. ive never been able to pull codes the check engine light comes on very rarely. and the airbag light is always on. I have the old blinking obd1 scanner, but tbh that thing confuses me and when i plug it in the thing will just have one clear pitch, no beeps just continuous. any input would be awesome.

• Sponsors (?)

If the computer thinks the engine is that hot, you need to replace the ECT - Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. The sensors eventually fail, especially if they're the cheaper plastic sensors. The ECT is in the front of the metal heater hose on the passenger side of the engine. Here's a great image with the ECT removed:

ectremoval.jpg