1994 Radio Problem

Stus99GT

Nov 14, 2003
VA
I just bought my old 1994 Stang back from my sister. She wanted the cd player that was in the car. So I installed the originial tape player back in. The original wiring had been hacked into to install the cd player, so I had to go about cutting into to everything to reinstall the tape player.

My problem is that I'm hardly getting anything from the radio. I have to turn the radio to its highest setting and I can still barely hear it. Any ideas of what the problem might be?

• Sponsors (?)

Is this a Mach 460 car? Is it the stock tape player? Was it the stock CD player that was taken out?

If it's a Mach 460 and had the factory CD player, taking out the CD player will cause that problem.

RedStallion43 said:
My radio did the same thing. It did it with a tape or on radio. The fix: the radio was shot, I got a new radio and it works fine now.
That was where I was going - if the tape plays loud, the wiring, etc should be fine and it is a radio problem.
If the volume is muted with the tape player too, I would look at the wiring and then try a different deck if you have one.

Good luck.

If its a Mach 460 and someone hacked the wiring, it could be a lot of things. The cable that runs to the crossover in the center of the dash is sensitive. If it is hacked into, it needs to be replaced. I would run a few more tests, and see what happens, but I am willing to bet the wiring is toast, and the cheapest solution would be a new cable(easy to replace) or a aftermarket deck and a simple rewire.

If I understand the Mach the way I think I do, the amps in the rear actually run the fronts as well. The tweeters in the car are not connected to the amps at all. The run right off the factory radio and are simply crossed over from the front unit.

If you don't have Mach 460, it will be a lot easier. Pictures of your wiring would be very helpful. If I can see it, I can probably guide you through repairing it.

:OT: Shane, I was getting ready to PM you to see how you were doing. Good to see you back. Lately there have been a few threads where no definitive answer was given, but I knew you would know!
:cheers: