1995 4.6 2v npi help

I am also a Cougar/Thunderbird fan and I am familiar with these cars. I do see a couple of "problems" with the plans.

While the 4.6 modular motor in the Cougar is very similar to the Mustang, but there are differences. The exhaust is actually closer to a truck style exhaust in that the headers are in a Y configuration which flow into a single pipe through the drive tunnel. Then into another Y pipe dual muffler configuration.

Bottom line, a Mustang exhaust will not work.

To me, one important difference between the cars for the home shade tree mechanic is the 4.6 Cougar/Thunderbird motor can not be removed from above with a crane. The car's craddle design means that the body is "lifted" off of the K-member/motor/transmission. This places a motor swap in the shop league as special lift equipment is needed.

A PI head swap can not be done "in car" because the oil pan can not be dropped "in car". So, while something like a PI head swap could be done, the motor removal makes the job harder than first glance.

The suspension is totally different between Cougar/Mustang. Nothing will interchange.

Even the wheels/rims will not interchange. The bolt pattern is 1/4" smaller on the Cougar.

I sure that you have noted how much softer the transmission has been set up on the Cougar. This can changed with a shift kit and tune.

A Mustang's underdrive pulleys should fit the Cougar.

I had a 97 Cougar that I really liked. It was originally purchased to be a "sleeper". After owning it for a while, I discovered that the job was going to require much more than what I could do in my driveway.

Beside, the car drove GREAT, got good gas mileage (20 city), and was a very smooth ride. So in the end, I decided to just drive it.

Good luck.

PS, recommend to not posting threads about street racing. Trouble!

Good info, a family member was trying to dump off a 95' Cougar on me. I just assumed it was the same NPI 4.6 like the 96's came with. I guess it's a lot like the 5.0L vrs crown vic Non-ho 5.0.

• Sponsors (?)

evidently winters reads what he wants and only helps people that have a an IQ less then his, that way it makes him look ineligent. how do you think you look when you type abreviations for comments or insults? kinda puts him in the same catigory as the ones who cant or dont know how to speak let alone type fluent english. so before you insult; consult there Hot Rod.

IBTL: In Before The Lock

"In Before The Lock": An abbreviation posted to a thread on a web-based forum when the poster knows that any rational debate has long since been abandoned, and will shortly be locked by the forum administrator."

I had to look it up. Thank you Urban dictionary.

In this case, a lock may be a blessing.:lock:

I am not really sure what to say about the grammer/spelling in the original post. Some part of me thought is was a joke. And then the thought occured to me that it is written purely "phonetically" or pure IM speak.

At one point in time the idea that someone would actually engage in conversational IM speak seamed beyond belief to me. Then I actually met one of my Daughter's college freshmen friends that did exactly that.

What more can you say?

evidently winters reads what he wants and only helps people that have a an IQ less then his, that way it makes him look ineligent. how do you think you look when you type abreviations for comments or insults? kinda puts him in the same catigory as the ones who cant or dont know how to speak let alone type fluent english. so before you insult; consult there Hot Rod.

I don't speak your language. :flag: