1995 Cobra starting and dying problems

bud041277

Jul 27, 2005
My Cobra has been having starting problems. It takes 5 or 6 turns of the key to get it to fire. The car turns over just fine. Then sometimes it will fire on the first turn. Also, sometimes when I'm driving the car it will die under throttle or when I come to a stop light. That sucks! I just had new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, and my injestors cleaned. I heard it could be all kinds of thing such as the CCRM, fuel pump, TFI, PIP(WHAT'S THIS?),or the pickup in the distributor. Wow! Has anyone had these kinds of problems? Any advice?

• Sponsors (?)

A PIP is the Profile Ignition Pickup..A magnetic element withing your distributor that lets the computer know when your timing is at top dead center in each cylinder. In turn contolling spark advance and injector pulsing. When they go out it seems they they can either go out all-together at one time..Leaving you staranded and unable to start the car, or they can start to fail over a period of time, making it harder and harder to start the car. Also a faulty fuel pressure regulator may be bad causing a decrease in fuel pressure which would also be indicative by failure to start. Another thing would maybe be a clogged fuel filter and maybe a bad coil?
If you post this in the tech section you would probably get a lot more help.

Welcome to the boards :nice:
Kris

AFAIK, it is in tech now. :rlaugh:

First thing is to pull codes. You can have codes stored (esp for an intermittant issue like this) with no CEL on. You could have a couple issues going on - e.g. lack of fuel delivery when starting, and EGR not doing what it should, etc.

If you have a FP guage, check pressure after the first priming in the morning. Or just prime the pump several times before ever trying to start the car in the AM. If it starts right up, that suggests, as Kris said, that the fuel delivery is not up to par (weak pump, bad FPR, clogged filter, etc - all that he mentioned).

Good luck.

bud041277 said:
My Cobra has been having starting problems. It takes 5 or 6 turns of the key to get it to fire. The car turns over just fine. Then sometimes it will fire on the first turn. Also, sometimes when I'm driving the car it will die under throttle or when I come to a stop light. That sucks! I just had new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, and my injestors cleaned. I heard it could be all kinds of thing such as the CCRM, fuel pump, TFI, PIP(WHAT'S THIS?),or the pickup in the distributor. Wow! Has anyone had these kinds of problems? Any advice?

What are injestors??? :rlaugh:

How were the injectors cleaned? Did the remove them or just dump some crap into the gas tank?

Pull all of the plugs and reconnect them. Make sure then "snap". Also check the cap/rotor for damage inside.

Also check your timing. Maybe your dizzy hold down bolt is loose and your timing is off.

Maybe the fuel filter is installed backwards??
Scott