1995 GT OBD2 Problem

cold5.0

Nov 9, 2007
I've searched the site, and read through all of the current threads, and I can't find any reference to the OBD problem I'm having with my '95 GT...so forgive me if this has been addressed already.

I bought a scanner to find out what was causing the CEL on my wife's car, and after solving that problem, tested it out on my car to test out the live data features. Upon plugging into the underdash port, the scanner automatically comes on, but it says it can't communicate with the car. Manual says the unit should turn on when the connection is made. I can find no info about possible compatibility issues in the manual or the mfr's web site...or any other web site for that matter. I also tested it on my '00 GT, and the scanner worked perfectly.
The shop that sold it to me tested a different model scanner on my '95, and had no luck with a connection either.

The scanner is a INNOVA 3130 Scan Tool.

Has anyone else experienced this? The problem has got to be with the car, and not the scanner. This is my first experience with the OBD port and scanner. Last time CEL was on was 10 years ago, and the car was under warranty!

Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

I've searched the site, and read through all of the current threads, and I can't find any reference to the OBD problem I'm having with my '95 GT...so forgive me if this has been addressed already.

I bought a scanner to find out what was causing the CEL on my wife's car, and after solving that problem, tested it out on my car to test out the live data features. Upon plugging into the underdash port, the scanner automatically comes on, but it says it can't communicate with the car. Manual says the unit should turn on when the connection is made. I can find no info about possible compatibility issues in the manual or the mfr's web site...or any other web site for that matter. I also tested it on my '00 GT, and the scanner worked perfectly.
The shop that sold it to me tested a different model scanner on my '95, and had no luck with a connection either.

The scanner is a INNOVA 3130 Scan Tool.

Has anyone else experienced this? The problem has got to be with the car, and not the scanner. This is my first experience with the OBD port and scanner. Last time CEL was on was 10 years ago, and the car was under warranty!

Thanks in advance!

Well to start, the '95 is a OBD-1 and the service port is in the engine bay passenger side and is mounted on the strut tower on the fire wall side. The port under the dash is not functional on the '95 GT. It will require an EEC-IV compliant scanner.

That pretty much wraps it up then...

Well to start, the '95 is a OBD-1 and the service port is in the engine bay passenger side and is mounted on the strut tower on the fire wall side. The port under the dash is not functional on the '95 GT. It will require an EEC-IV compliant scanner.

That's not just a START...that pretty much sums up the problem.
I realize that OBD2 oficially started in '96, but I had read somewhere that Ford and one other manufacturer started a couple of years earlier. So, when I saw the port under the dash, I didn't give it a second thought!

Thanks for your help!