1995 GT Overheating issue

southsidesasky

Apr 22, 2005
Hi All,

I have a stock 5L and it's overheating pretty badly right now, goes to just about the red on the gauge. I flushed the rad this winter when I got a new block heater put in. I put a 180 thermostat in last week and it's still heating up. I'm unsure if it's a rad, water pump or an air block in the cooling system. Any ideas or help would be good.

I noticed that my electric fan doesn't come on when I start the car, is that normal? I thought it ran piggy backed off the other fan and then kicked into high gear when needed. Is this right or wrong?

Is there any tests I can do myself to narrow things down?

Thx

SouthSide

• Sponsors (?)

I agree - you gotta post up more info. WHen does it run hot, what exact temps does it run at (the stock gauge is kinda useless - it's not precise and if someone tells me that they run at some letter in the word Normal, that means nothing to me). It wouldnt mean much to the fox guys either since the instruments are different.

Some basics on your '95.

Low Speed does NOT come on with the key, unless the ECT circuit is open or the fan driver in the puter takes a dump (in said case, the EDF relay control kicks the fan on as a safeguard).

Naturally, the low speed fan comes on a 208*F. High speed comes on at 228*F or when Max AC is on.

A lot of 94-95 owners wire in manual fan switches so they can have the fan on when they desire. If you wish to do the same, mention it and I can post the wiring procedure.

And otherwise, a lot more info is needed. You can also check things out in the 94-95 Tech section.

Good luck.