1995 Jerking Issues

1995MusTanG

Mar 10, 2011
I have no Idea what is wrong with this thing. It only has 83k on it. It will jerk while accelerating sometimes. It like shimmies. But when it isn't doing that the car rides smooth. The mechanic said it could be the transmission shackling, but the car only has 83k on it! Any similar things happen like that that WASNT the transmission? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Guys

• Sponsors (?)

Is it like a bucking while accelerating? When I say bucking I mean like ( it randomly jerks or kicks back like it is hesitating, like a quick shake), or is it more like a shuddering constant heavy vibration that starts and stops at different times? . Is it an automatic trans? Or manual? Does it only do it at certain speeds or does it not matter? I am not understanding what you mean by "shackling" .. or what your mechanic meant. If an Auto, It could be a torque converter issue ...then again it could be an engine issue as well. Need more info..

its more like a shuttering...What will the torque converter being bad make it do? I got the tranny flushed today and it seems to be a little bit better. Is there anyway to fix this problem besides getting a new tranny or rebuilding it?

If it is shaking, It may or may not be the trans torque converter. First, does it start shaking like this just before it goes into a certain gear? If it does, then its most likely torque converter shutter. It's not a real serious problem. I'm not even 100% sure what causes it, except maybe a bad bearing or the impeller on the converter has some bent fin holes. IF it is the converter, sometimes adding certain trans additives can help. But that, I'm not sure which ones are good.

Now, if it just shutters and vibrates at different times , not just before going into a gear, then it could possibly be a few other things. Does it vibrate at certain speeds? Or while turning corners? Does any noise come from the vibrating/shuttering? Does the steering wheel shake or does the brake pedal pulsate in and out rapidly?

It mostly shakes around 3rd gear. It doesn't do it AS bad after the tranny flush. it will do it usually around 35 and then again at 45. if you let off the gas it will stop, and if you just punch it when it starts doing it...it will stop usually. I know, it's a very hard problem to diagnose. thanks for your help man.

hmm.. I'm thinking man. I've diagnosed so many vibrations it's damn ridiculous! It is very difficult to tell without hearing.. feeling it firsthand. It kind of sounds like a U-joint...You would be surprised. Depending on how you drive and where you live (type of roads etc), they can wear out fast at times. As for the trans .... you are 100% sure you DID notice it get better after this flush? if this is true, then it most likely is torque converter shutter. BUT, I've known shutter to be prominent in all gears not just 1 or 2. ... And I also have just learned that torque converter shudder is something to do with torque converter lockup not fully engaging. When you had your trans flushed, do you know if they used Mercon III or Mercon V fluid? If it is an issue with the converter, I have (heard and read) that putting Mercon V in place of the Mercon III can eliminate most shudder issues. A cheaper alternative is to keep the Mercon III you have and put a special additive in. AGain, IDK if this is your problem or not.

.. does your steering wheel shake? Even if it doesn't, it could be a bad tire, or unbalanced tire/rim, warped brake rotor . Can you hear this in the engine at the speeds you mentioned? I mean, does it seem like the engines shudders or the exhaust sounds different?