1995 Mustang GT Ignition Switch/Ignition Lock Problem

KGB

Aug 17, 2006
(Copied from the 5.0 Tech
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?p=6346654#post6346654)

I am a new owner of a Mustang GT. I was driving it around for a couple of months, the car didnt have any major problems during this time period.

However, 2 days ago I drowe in to work, and when I was shutting the car off it didnt turn off. The key turned just fine, but the car remained on, with engine still running. The key cylinder provided no resistance at all whenever I was turining it to the off position.

Therefore, I assumed that it was a problem with the key cylinder. Yesturday my friend and I bought a new ignition cylinder and replaced the old one. However, after duing that the car still started just fine but did not shut off.

Next, we progressed to taking the ignition switch out and examined it. The switch was in normal condition, but the plastic piece that controls the switch was sliding to the start position and the ignition position, but was not sliding back to the off position.

So after further examination, we found that the plastic piece that connects to the key cylinder was moving properly but it was not connected to the plastic piece that controls the ignition swithch. The problem is right next to the universal joint on the steering shaft between the shaft that goes to the steerign wheel, and the shaft that goes further down.

Can anyone suggest an easy fix to this problem?

• Sponsors (?)

hey this EXACT thing happen to me a few weeks ago

the little pin that holds the two plastic pieces together came out. if your lucky the pin will still be in there somewhere and you can just put it back inplace

to get some working room in there tho youll need to remove all the trim under the stearing wheel, remove the upper two bolts that hold it to the dash and just loosten the lower two down near the peadls. theres also two TQ bolts on each side of the colum you need to take out. its a pain but its what i had to do

Everyone, thanks for replies. I managed to put a replacement in without taking much more appart. The car seems to be running fine for now. Thanks again.