1995 Spindles Vs 2001 5 Lug

Discussion in 'Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech' started by tacomatrx450f, May 11, 2013.

1. tacomatrx450f

tacomatrx450f Member

Hey guys, so i got my hands on some spindles for a 5 lug conversion for my fox mustang, but can someone tell me the difference? the only thing i can see wheres there's differences is on the steering ball joint locations. any info would be great thanks.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MFE92

MFE92 Active Member

The one on the left is a 94-95, the one on the right is a 96+ designed to accomodate the lower rack mounting of the mod-motor cars. There are other very slight differences but that's the big one. You don't want to mix & match them on the same car.

3. tacomatrx450f

tacomatrx450f Member

so a 96+ wouldnt be a good choice for a fox mustang? the 96+ is allows for dual piston calipers, but the 95 you would have to grind off a bit right? how do each type effect the power steering?

4. FiveLiterSN95

FiveLiterSN95 Member

Both can mount the same calipers. I'm not sure of any clearance issues, but I do have Cobra front brakes on my 95 GT and they mounted up without issue.

5. Chuckman

Chuckman Active Member

the 96+ also push the wheels out more than the 94/95, can be a problem unless you have the right offset wheels. the only brake compatibility issue is with running the 99+ twin-piston pbrs on the 94/95 spindles, a little grinding on the spindle will take care of it. cobra calipers dont have this problem, just the v6/gt stuff.

6. RacEoHolic330

RacEoHolic330 I like to dress like a pretty girl SN Certified Technician

As MFE said, you definitely don't want to use two different spindles.

A little bit a reading why you should not use the 96+ spindles without an aftermarket MM k-member:

"Do not install a 1996-04 spindle on a 1979-93 or 1994-95 Mustang fitted with a stock-geometry k-member!
    Doing so will significantly increase bumpsteerbecause...
    • The steering arm on the 1996-04 spindle is about 1.02" (26mm) lower (relative to the rest of the spindle) than the steering arm of any 1979-95 spindle.
    • The lower steering arm forces the outer tie-rod end to a lower position.
    • That new position is far too low for the steering rack location of any 1979-95 Mustang, and radically changes the steering geometry.
    • It is impossible to correct the geometry with a bumpsteer kit because the outer tie-rod end needs to be raised so much that it would have to occupy the same physical space as the steering arm."
    Source: Maximum Motorsports