1995 v6 code 171

Robs96

Aug 29, 2006
I have a 1995 Mustang 3.8 vert. I have a mil light on and code po171 (lean bank) is what the scanner prompts. This is a car that I bought for $500 with a bum trans that sat for nearly three years. Got it running in Jan 2007 and it runs great except for that code. Coincidently, the motor sometimes idles at 1000rpms before kicking back down to around 550rpms. It will do this many times but there is no notice in performance just the annoying code and idle. I do know that the hoses that go to the purge flow solenoid are dry rotted and I will replace them this weekend, but is there anything else this could be? I know its not the maf or I would have codes for both banks.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 1995 Mustang 3.8 vert. I have a mil light on and code po171 (lean bank) is what the scanner prompts. This is a car that I bought for $500 with a bum trans that sat for nearly three years. Got it running in Jan 2007 and it runs great except for that code. Coincidently, the motor sometimes idles at 1000rpms before kicking back down to around 550rpms. It will do this many times but there is no notice in performance just the annoying code and idle. I do know that the hoses that go to the purge flow solenoid are dry rotted and I will replace them this weekend, but is there anything else this could be? I know its not the maf or I would have codes for both banks.

just one bank ? hmmmm id pull the intake and put a new intake gasket set on it and see if it goes away , if it does not might want to try to replace that one 02 sensor , if that doesnt fix it , you have an injector on one bank not spraying properly ....

Yeah it was an O2. I knew it was but I didn't want to face reality being that I just changed the other side o2 back in January and they are a royal bitch. I fixed it that same day I just forgot to announce it. Thank you anyway though.