1995 V6 Wont Idle When Cooling Fan Comes On

1stanger1

Jul 3, 2005
in my house
so one of my daughters just turned 16 and its time i pull her car out and get it ready....

first i already new the fan wasnt working when the temp came up so i pulled out the 4" sensor thing that was inline with the cooling fan plug and just plugged it in direct...then noticed that the radiator had a huge hole in it(didnt find that out till it shut off while sitting in the garage ..it overheated that bad)
then noticed the vaccum line for the heater exchange was broke in 2 places..fixed that too

so now it runs fine until it gets up to temperature when the fan kicks on then it starts to spit and sputter and sometimes shuts off....

i am leaning toward the alternator not putting out enough voltage or the IAC cant think of anything else that would do it....i mean i added new gas to it..(it had been sitting for a year)
the oil PSI is awesome its charging just fine and doesnt over heat......
anyoine seen this before or am i just missing something here?

thanks
Alan

• Sponsors (?)

first i already new the fan wasnt working when the temp came up so i pulled out the 4" sensor thing that was inline with the cooling fan plug and just plugged it in direct...
Can you post pictures?

A number of things occur to me. Are the battery terminals clean and tight? It would be handy to know the battery voltage while the car is running. It would also be handy to know just what the voltage drops to when the fan turns on.

Also, when the coolant was re-filled, did you follow the V6 coolant refilling procedures? If not, there is air trapped inside the motor. This will cause the ECT to read LOW and delay the fan from turning on.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...stang-irregular-rpms-showing-hot.html#2604913

Can you post pictures?

A number of things occur to me. Are the battery terminals clean and tight? It would be handy to know the battery voltage while the car is running. It would also be handy to know just what the voltage drops to when the fan turns on.

Also, when the coolant was re-filled, did you follow the V6 coolant refilling procedures? If not, there is air trapped inside the motor. This will cause the ECT to read LOW and delay the fan from turning on.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...stang-irregular-rpms-showing-hot.html#2604913

yes i know how to add coolant to a mustang....definetly no air terminals are tight and clean as far as voltage while normal running and then when the fans kick on...i'll get back to you on that
\