Electrical 1996 Mustang Convertible Auto Power Window Drop- Please Help!

jammindj1

Jan 9, 2016
Hi. Newbie here. First post. Bought a 1996 mustang GT Convertible. 167,000 miles. Runs good. When I open the doors, the windows are supposed to drop a 1/2" to clear the top right? Mine don't. Went and read all kinds of posts that said how to reinitialize the smart window motors. Tried that, didn't do anything. Went back to the internet and read somewhere that that only works on 2005 and newer mustangs, NOT on 1996 mustangs. Right now I need to leave the windows cracked down about a 1/4" so it doesnt hang up on the top. Understand that the power windows work fine, go up, down, express down, all of that, they just don't "drop" automatically when the doors are opened... Is there a different rein itialize procedure for a 1996? Are 1996 windows supposed to drop?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated...
Thanks in advance...

1996 4.6L Mustang GT Convertible
Automatic, CAI,
Soon to be adding Flowmasters, Steeda Underdrive Pullies, 4.10 gears, and a tune.:grin:

• Sponsors (?)

No, that feature was added in 2005, started with S197. I have never seen it in an SN95 or New Edge.

Your top is sagging or your window gaskets need replacing (E-bay used ,kinda expensive cause they aren't making new ones) or your car is tweaked. Windows should fit tight and hold out rain or there an issue that needs fixing.

Hi. Newbie here. First post. Bought a 1996 mustang GT Convertible. 167,000 miles. Runs good. When I open the doors, the windows are supposed to drop a 1/2" to clear the top right? Mine don't. Went and read all kinds of posts that said how to reinitialize the smart window motors. Tried that, didn't do anything. Went back to the internet and read somewhere that that only works on 2005 and newer mustangs, NOT on 1996 mustangs. Right now I need to leave the windows cracked down about a 1/4" so it doesnt hang up on the top. Understand that the power windows work fine, go up, down, express down, all of that, they just don't "drop" automatically when the doors are opened... Is there a different rein itialize procedure for a 1996? Are 1996 windows supposed to drop?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated...
Thanks in advance...

1996 4.6L Mustang GT Convertible
Automatic, CAI,
Soon to be adding Flowmasters, Steeda Underdrive Pullies, 4.10 gears, and a tune.:grin:
Im having problems with it on my 2005. can you point me in the right direction for instructions on how to "reinitialize"?

Hi-- I had that same problem with my Vert. On mine, the adhesive that holds the window onto the regulator no longer held. There is a metal channel that the window is glued to. You can pull the door panel and see what I'm talking about. I used some urethane window adhesive by 3M. Well-- that was my problem with my window. 1 hour fix. I recommend to pull the channel out and scrap out all the old adhesive first. I tried silicone first and it did not hold so don't waste your time. Hope this helps.