1996 Mystic Cobra

I wouldn't touch it, even with the low, low price of $5500. Besides the paint being a mess, the interior is crap.

It's gonna cost you a boatload at some point to repaint and repair the interior. The seat covers are no longer available from Ford.

You would be better served saving up some more and getting one with 50K on the odo that is cleaner than that. You could probably find one like I am describing for $12K or so. It will cost you at least $5-7K to bring that back.

I would think the price for the paint itself would be scary, without the labor that is.

• Sponsors (?)

A bit miffed about your ban are you?

was that a lame attempt at an insult?

For one, a car in that condition will need to be painted, and fully painted at that. In THAT sense, it isn't original and isn't worth as much in my book. A repainted car isn't worth as much as a car with original paint.

A fully original car, any collector car, is worth more than a restored one, unless it's FULLY restored meaning frame off concurs resto. No Mystic is going to go through that type of resto.

How hard is that to understand?

True, you could say "Ya, I have a mystic, but it's been repainted." The bragging rights on a car like that aren't as much to me, that's all.

so your car isnt worth anything since its been repainted, right? the only way it would kill value is if it wasnt the stock paint being used or if it had been in an accident. If it was repainted, at least you'd know it was probably done right this time since ford cheaps out and puts the thinnest layers of paint and clear coat on known to mankind.

I'd say that is a pretty good buy if you are a big fan of the mystics. The paint work would probably be high because that paint cost so much. Also not sure if the car would need an entire repaint...can that paint be blended? 11 years old and no holes in the front bumper:hail2:

was that a lame attempt at an insult?

Nope, did you take it that way?

so your car isnt worth anything since its been repainted, right? the only way it would kill value is if it wasnt the stock paint being used or if it had been in an accident. If it was repainted, at least you'd know it was probably done right this time since ford cheaps out and puts the thinnest layers of paint and clear coat on known to mankind.

It's definately worth less, IMO, since it's been repainted. Any car that's been partially repainted is worth less, IMO, unless you have a painter with mad skills painthing your car. Even then, you're sure to have some type of defect, drip, run, etc etc in the paint. Even though Ford paint sux, you can almost never get a repaint that's better than a factory job.

Wow...couple interesting comments/facts I just read about the 1996 mystic paint.

-The only Mystic type paint you can not get is the 1996 version and it is because it is the same type of color shifting paint that is on our money. Thats why it is very controlled access/obtaining.

-The 1996 mystichrome cannot be had unless you have a vin, svt cert, and goto a ford certified body shop.
The 2004 can be had easily. It's listed under PPG for Ford 2004 passenger vehicles. It's very expensive however.

-1996 owners did have to prove and then a Dupont rep came out, inspected the car, estimated how much paint would be needed, went back and mixed it, came out when car was repaired and ready for paint, watched while it was painted. Then the rep would clean all the paint materials, guns, cans and such and would take the unused portion if any back with him. It was very technical but 11 years later the paint formula is still unknown

Sounds like someone is going to have a fun time getting this '96 repainted if they plan on it. Didn't know that paint was such a big secret. I want one now!!!!

Nope, did you take it that way?

It's definately worth less, IMO, since it's been repainted. Any car that's been partially repainted is worth less, IMO, unless you have a painter with mad skills painthing your car. Even then, you're sure to have some type of defect, drip, run, etc etc in the paint. Even though Ford paint sux, you can almost never get a repaint that's better than a factory job.

Are you serious???? What kind of body shops have you gone to! I personally could paint the car better in my garage than how it came out of the factory. Do you think the factory wetsands the cars in between paint layers??? Since this is a Ford, do they even do more than one layer??? :rlaugh:

Sure if you get a 400 dollar paint job from maaco its going to have drips and look like ****. But if you take it to a real body shop and spend closer to 4 to 6k your going to get a much better than factory paint job.

If the body shop sands it down to bare metal, primes it, wetsands, primes, wetsands, paints, wetsands, paints, wetsands, paints, clearcoats, wet sands, clear coats, wet sands, like any decent shop would it will look 99x better than a factory paint job. Have you looked at your factory paint lately? Almost every mustang i've seen has a bad case of orange peel in the paint, hell go to the land of make believe subforum and check out that ranger that had a 2 foot section on the door that wasn't even painted from the factory.

Even if its partially repainted get them to sand the entire part that is faded. In this case the roof piece, and the amount of blending would be greatly reduced. 9 times out of 10 you wont be able to tell its been repainted... unless your painter grabs mystichrome paint and doesn't mix it at all... In which case you've clearly gone to some redneck body shop in which they normally use cans of spray paint on their cars.

I say buy it, for 5500 your still getting an 80,000 mile Cobra. On top of that your getting a mystichrome one. As if a 2000 silver mustang is going to pull up next to you and have anything negative to say.
I'd buy it for sure, i say offer 5000... less likely to refuse and its only 200 more than 4800.

I don't see a problem with a repaint if it is the original color and done by a reputable shop. Compared to what that car looks like now it would improve the value...not detract. But as stated I think it would be one expensive paint job...if you can even find the paint. And don't get me started on Ford paint quality. My car looks like it has scabies with all of the peeling paint.

Interiors are upgraded/changed all the time. That wouldn't detract from the value either since that interior looks exactly like mine (my seat is in better condition) except for the gages. The interior is nothing special...seats could be recovered and in fact upgraded to be better than original.

Doesn't matter if the factory paint was junk or not, a repainted car that eventually may become a collector car of sorts will never be worth the same $$$ as original paint, unless it is as bad as this Mystic is.

My 87 GN, probably has the worst paint I have ever seen from a factory, but it would kill the value if it had a repaint.

Bottom line, as I said earlier, this Mystic is not even worth the $5500 he is asking.