1997 cobra or a 2001 GT

EBO13

Dec 15, 2008
i have found a 1997 cobra with 97,000 miles on it and looks like its in great condition and it has no mods. i have also found a 2001 black GT thats fully loaded and has 104,000 miles on it.
which should i get?
which is a better car? faster?
any major problems with either in their current state (being the milage)?

im new to the forum and this is my first post

thanks everyone...

• Sponsors (?)

i have found a 1997 cobra with 97,000 miles on it and looks like its in great condition and it has no mods. i have also found a 2001 black GT thats fully loaded and has 104,000 miles on it.
which should i get?

thanks everyone...

cobra. 4v FTW!!

Cobra.

Back in '03, when i bought my GT, it was either a '98 Cobra or a new GT. I went with the GT just because i wanted a new car. Well in hindsight, i should have gotten the Cobra.

Cobra, no contest :nice:
Aero Cobras=SEX and :drool:
IMGP0036.jpg

IMGP0053.jpg

im gonna say the GT on this one. The 99-04 body style is do much better looking. Also Modding the car will be more affordable. Most parts for the cobra will be double in price than the GT. I was in the same spot as you a while back and I had a 96 cobra and I went to a 01 GT 5 speed. Yea I know that there a little under powered compared but I feel I made the better choice. just my .02

I'd personally go for the GT. the 2V engines are cheaper, it's still a newer car, and you could always go with something like the Tork Tech supercharger kit and literally run away from the Cobra, for a lot less money than it would take to mod the 4V, to that point. Throw in a set of cams and the new Trick Flow heads, and you're running with the 03-04 Cobras. That's my choice anyway, YMMV.

which should i get?
thanks everyone...
If you want something to modify and drag racing, get the GT. If you want a cruiser and a show car, get the Cobra.

im gonna say the GT on this one. The 99-04 body style is do much better looking. Also Modding the car will be more affordable. Most parts for the cobra will be double in price than the GT. I was in the same spot as you a while back and I had a 96 cobra and I went to a 01 GT 5 speed. Yea I know that there a little under powered compared but I feel I made the better choice. just my .02

I'd personally go for the GT. the 2V engines are cheaper, it's still a newer car, and you could always go with something like the Tork Tech supercharger kit and literally run away from the Cobra, for a lot less money than it would take to mod the 4V, to that point. Throw in a set of cams and the new Trick Flow heads, and you're running with the 03-04 Cobras. That's my choice anyway, YMMV.

:scratch: I have had several Cobras and just dont see what you guys are talking about. The exhaust, tuners, gears, coolin, superchargers are all the same :shrug:
Yes the CAI's are apx 40% more money but I can see that as there just are not as many made and if you do cams then it will be twice as much but thats because there are twice as many :shrug:
The 4V has more power and torque. Revs higher and faster, has a MUCH stronger block and crank. The 96 Cobras have the best N/A cams for a 4v already. The brakes are way better.... Look, I love Mustangs and have had alot of them but unless you do some serious engine work (like Cobra Red) or FI it then the power plant is just not impressive to me. If I had never driven a Cobra I would feel differently but the engine is so much nicer. And when I drove my friends 03 GT back to back with my 96 Cobra there was no comparison. He has all the bolt ons and a 100 shot from a NX kit but my Cobra not only could still wipe the floor with him (and it was damn near bone stock) but the car felt so much more stable and tighter........ sorry, Im ranting :shrug: