1997 Explorer and 88 gt motor, sum advice

88gt373

Dec 29, 2010
Hey guys heres what im up against.... There is a 1997 explorer V8 at the JY and i want the heads and intake to swap on my 88 gt... I can get the WHOLE motor from pick and pull for about 300. (i dont know if it has gt40 or gt40p heads yet, but lets assume its a gt40p headed motor cuz i really want it to be :)......) so.... i have a 5.0 with an e303 tfs springs and stock cobra headers thats it. I want to buy the explorer motor and take off the top end and install it on my gt, then swap the E7's, stock intake, stock springs, and stock cam into the explorer block and sell the block.... i know ill need the P compatible headers, can i do that with what i have? i got TONS of stock parts from my rebuild like oil pan, dip stick, cam, valve covers etc. what do you guys think? can it be done and is it worth the trouble? ima bring those heads (hoping that they are P heads!!! to a shop for a resurface and 3 angle.... what do you guys think????

:nice:

• Sponsors (?)

The "P" heads are a little better, most people are scared of them because of the plug angle issue.....which really isn't a big deal. I have BBK unequal length shorties and have had zero issues with them. My plug wires are Taylors with 90 degree plug boots and fit great. You will have to swap the valve springs, as the Explorer springs are too soft, and really not even up to the task of even an H.O cam.

Yes, you can swap all of those parts. I was lucky, when I bought my Mountaineer engine (same thing), it was a service replacement engine with less than $15,xxx miles on it. I swapped in my TFS-1 cam, and all of the rest of my parts and used the Mountaineer engine in my car, sold the H.O engine. You may be able to use the Explorer engine in your car. Check it out really good.

If you're going to use the Explorer parts on your '88 engine, use the heads of course,and the intake and throttle body if you have stock parts on your current engine, and have your stock throttle body spacer opened up to 65mm. If you have an aftermarket intake, then you may wish to skip on the Explorer piece.

Yes, it's worth the swap. The Explorer heads (GT-40 and GT40-P) are both great upgrades. I had my heads ported nicely, valve job, and Trick Flow springs installed. I currently have Crane Gold 1.7 roller rockers on them as well.

+1 To what Vinnie said. When i ran "P" heads I had the special headers that Ford makes for them. Other then changing the valve springs to match my cam (TF Stage 1), I just bolted them on and ran them on my 306.

Well, me personally i would hope that they are regular gt40's. Since it's a budget build the saving of $250 on headers means alot.

I wouldn't swap anything over to your motor, i'd put a new cam in the explorer engine, switch the accessories and pan and drop the explorer engine in the car.

Well, me personally i would hope that they are regular gt40's. Since it's a budget build the saving of $250 on headers means alot.

I wouldn't swap anything over to your motor, i'd put a new cam in the explorer engine, switch the accessories and pan and drop the explorer engine in the car.

i would do that, but i just dropped alot of money getting my crank turned and balances and i balanced my pistons and rods aswell, plus the new rings, seals and bearings and my time, i dont wanna touch that explorer short block except to take the heads off.

how much do you guys estimate the cost of resurfacing the heads and maybe some light porting would cost? i dont wanna drop too much into the heads but since im going to have them off, i might as well right?

how much do you guys estimate the cost of resurfacing the heads and maybe some light porting would cost? i dont wanna drop too much into the heads but since im going to have them off, i might as well right?

More than the heads are worth.
I once had a set of gt40y heads milled, valve jobbed and bowls cleaned up, along with port matching a lower intake to them and it cost me $410, that's without any actual porting of the heads or buying a set of valve springs.

Do not forget the fact that summit recently had twisted wedges for $900 or so.

Spend the minimum on gt40 iron heads or before you know it you'll be in aluminum head territory.