1997 GT vs. 2004 GT

Yeah, like Brian says...
The track is the only way to go to be sure & safe.
This way you leave on the lights to ensure fairness & dont endanger anyone else thats half asleep poking along to or fro work.

:Track:

• Sponsors (?)

If your friend knows how to drive that Auto your toast , I have about the same mods on my 04 + some weight savings
but still , look at my sig !

His stang should be good for high 13`s at around 100 mph !

Update this thread after the race! I'm nearly the only one saying the 97 will win, but I still stick to it, especially since he says he has tires.

Race will take place on Nov. 30 at fun day Sunday at Orlando speedworld. If we can holdout tillthen I will update then. We have ameet next week so I dont know if we will be able to wait.

To give you an idea I had a 92 LX hatch with basic boltons and 3.73's. I have raced him many times in that car and would pull about 2 cars on him each time, he never beat me. I think my 92 and my 97 are making around the same power.

Update this thread after the race! I'm nearly the only one saying the 97 will win, but I still stick to it, especially since he says he has tires.

I'm sure it won't hurt, but will it be enough. The biggest difference between the pre and post PI cars wasn't the bottom end, but in the mid and upper levels of the tach where a decent tire out back isn't going to do a lot of good. That and auto's tend to be easier to get out of the hole than a 5-speed, which may make up the difference? :shrug:
Not worth the risk on the street--just wait until the track meet :nice:

Race will take place on Nov. 30 at fun day Sunday at Orlando speedworld.
;)

I'm sure it won't hurt, but will it be enough. The biggest difference between the pre and post PI cars wasn't the bottom end, but in the mid and upper levels of the tach where a decent tire out back isn't going to do a lot of good. That and auto's tend to be easier to get out of the hole than a 5-speed, which may make up the difference? :shrug:

Ok granted, but the Stick has 3.73's to the Auto's 3.27s and the stick has a sticky tire. As long as the stick hooks, it will come out of the hole quicker.

What does the PI intake do for NPI cars? Remember that big difference between PI and NPI cars was the cams and intake, so what does the PI intake do, it closes the gap of that mid-higher end power advantage.

The real question is, does the PI Auto have enough extra power to catch the stick car. I don't think it does...

Ok granted, but the Stick has 3.73's to the Auto's 3.27s and the stick has a sticky tire. As long as the stick hooks, it will come out of the hole quicker.

What does the PI intake do for NPI cars? Remember that big difference between PI and NPI cars was the cams and intake, so what does the PI intake do, it closes the gap of that mid-higher end power advantage.

The real question is, does the PI Auto have enough extra power to catch the stick car. I don't think it does...

I still see no mention of an ECU reflash in that list of mods to tie it altogether. Without it, that stale tune that the '96-'97 Cars came with is going to negate the majority of the benefit of that additional airflow provided by the PI intake. The hole shot probably will belong to the NPI car, but I think the ’04 is still making enough power throughout the rev range to close the gap.

I still see no mention of an ECU reflash in that list of mods to tie it altogether. Without it, that stale tune that the '96-'97 Cars came with is going to negate the majority of the benefit of that additional airflow provided by the PI intake. The hole shot probably will belong to the NPI car, but I think the ’04 is still making enough power throughout the rev range to close the gap.

I know the 04 is on the stock tune. As for my car as far as I know its on the stock tune but I have found stuff on the car that the previous owner knew nothing about including the PI intake so who knows:shrug

I know the 04 is on the stock tune. As for my car as far as I know its on the stock tune but I have found stuff on the car that the previous owner knew nothing about including the PI intake so who knows:shrug

how do you know it has the pi intake? Is the coolant housing tapped or wrapped around to the backside of the block with an extension?

I gained 2 mph and .2 tenths with a pi intake on my 97. Similar DA's, tons of track passes on bfg drag radials with identical 60fts.

My 98gt gained 6mph and almost a full second with the pi swap, with the stock tune.

I think you will get walkeded.

My best advice is practice a couple times a week at the track. Times mean nothing when you get to the track. Cut a light, get a good sixty foot, and you have more than a chance.

'04 all the way

When i first got my '03, i "teamed up" with a stock '02 automatic GT at the track and we raced each other. Each race, he was only about 0.1 slower...and he was door to door with me off the line.

My best run was 14.1 and his was 14.2. Both cars 100% stock

Like others have said on here, don't discount an auto at the drag strip. I'm biased due to my transmission choice, but just know that I ran a 13.6 at 103 with underdrive pulleys, a catted x-pipe, and a 93 octane tune on stock-sized all-season rubber. The rest of the car was completely, bone stock, even down to the paper air filter.

how do you know it has the pi intake? Is the coolant housing tapped or wrapped around to the backside of the block with an extension?

I think you will get walkeded.

Its a PI intake. First runner goes to the drivers side, you can see how much deeper the lower intake sits to the block than the NPI and it has the aluminum crossover.

never said I would win, actually im expecting to lose but im just interested in some opinions.

Well the race went down and the under dog got the win:nice:
We only got 1 run in against each other and it was super close but I pulled it out. I ran a 13.9@100 and he ran a 14.1@101. He got me on the mph but I yanked him hard on the tree and he couldnt catch up. I think if he has some more seat time he would beat me but it came down to driver.

We did run again on the way home but I know how this site frowns on that stuff so I wont go into it.......I won again:p needless to say he was not happy and is looking for a rematch already. Good times indeed!

Im trying to get the vid. His brother took it and he dont want to give it up for the whole internet to see his 04 Gt get beat by a bolt on NPI car:rlaugh: