1998 Audi A4 turbo vs. 2000 GT

• Sponsors (?)

All depends on what A4 he has. First off, keep in mind if its a quatro its going to dominate you off the line. Is it a A4 or an S4? S4 will run with a GT, if not beat it. Also what are his mods?

Just cause it looks like a family car, doesnt mean its not something to mess with. A4/S4 will dominate you in the twisties.

All depends on what A4 he has. First off, keep in mind if its a quatro its going to dominate you off the line. Is it a A4 or an S4? S4 will run with a GT, if not beat it. Also what are his mods?
it's a quattro, and the 4WD system isn't ment for launching, they'll bog since they have no power (150hp)

The S4 is only 250hp, and can luckly hit 6 in 60/ 1/4-14.4, they're still stout though
Just cause it looks like a family car, doesnt mean its not something to mess with. A4/S4 will dominate you in the twisties.
They wont, they handle very badly in stock for even with their Sport package option 96-01 (B5)
its an a4 1.8 liter quatro bone stock. i saw online that it should make anywhere from 150 to 170 hp
it would never win in a million years
well even with a perfformance chip..which boosts them 50 hp

:bs: not even close, 10hp avg

Even though the chip WILL add quite a bit of power (those engines are VERY electronically controlled which allows chips to increase the engine's performance a lot more that our SOHC Ford engines) it is a '98 which makes it an AEB engine code which is VW's first stab at the 1.8T. In it's time and in it's particular niche of the market it was not a bad motor but it still won't be able to keep up with you. BTW...the greatest downfall of the 1.8T (only the ones in the A4 and Passat) is their extreme desire to sludge up. So worst case, if he's beating you he should get about 1/2 way down the road and lock the engine up from oil starvation...or a coil pack will take a dump...or his mass air will go south...or an O2 sensor will go haywire...or his power output stage (ignition control module) will die a sudden death shutting him down instantly. Either way, you've got him beat...

A 1998, bone stock? Yeah, you should be walking that thing. The Apr/99 Road & Track shows a 150HP 1.8T A4 running 0-60 in 7.9-seconds and the quarter in 15.9-sec. That 0-60 time's 2-seconds slower than a stock '00 MGT is capable of.

But don't automatically assume a piddly 1.8T must automatically be slow. My winter-beater stock-turbo 02 GTI runs low 6-second 0-60s with just a drop-in K&N, a GIAC tune and a 2.5" downpipe. The stock turbo is painfully small (the 180HP cars had a bigger K03S turbo than the 150HP cars and their K03) and it's not a big deal to upsize it to a K04 or Garrett GT28 or ...

As for chips, on later models with the (slightly) more capable turbo, a chip can raise the boost from 12-psi peak to just over 20-psi which results in great gobs of torque in the midrange. The turbo is too small to maintain that boost level to redline but the performance increase is undeniable: GIAC's "X+" tune gives between 25 and 35 HP and 50-60 ft-lb peak increases, depending on other components like exhaust and intake mods.

But the early pre-AWP cars with the K03 turbo...yeah, they weren't that quick especially in the heavy A4. You should kill him.

you'll have no problems. But trust me the Audis are not a straight line car AT ALL!!!!!
My 01 A4 Quattro with Koni Coilovers is absolutly wicked in the turns. I have close to zero body roll and with fresh Continental Contitracs it is nasty!!!
I need to start doing some SCCA stuff with it. But now I just enjoy the twistie country roads.
View attachment 383742

a4;s are really slow... alot of my friends roll with WCM here in the bay area... WCM is mostly VW;s but their are alot of a4;s too... my cousin has one and its chipped... i walked on him like it was in park...
i also raced a s4 from a roll and it was supposed to be absloute murder for me... everyone was like yea ur gonna be killed etc because the guy had a chip and a few other bolt ons... he jumped the gun a little on the 3 honks and we started going with his back bumper right in line with my front bumper... by 115ish i my front bumper was right next to his door... unfortunately we wherent able to run anymore that night but i should have the video somewhere i just need to find it on my computer.... they are really heavy though and they have issues with turbo lag as well as running out of boost in the upper rpm's...
that s4 that i ran also has coilvers and sway bars and etc... my friend in an almost bone stock gti hung with the s4 all the way down highway 9, which is a hilly road next in the south bay...
overall gti> a4 and s4

Since I actually have some experience in this issue, I'll throw in my 2 cents. A guy at work has a 200 A4 1.8T - 5 speed. He just had to race me, so I did. It was ugly, even by 4-cylinder 4-door family car vs. V8 2-door rear drive standards. I thought it would be just a nice pull away for me, but it was down right embarrasing for him. It was after lunch one day and I had 3 other people with me (one guy weighs in at 250 lbs.). Shameful. Now he has gotten a "tune" and lowering springs and thinks it will be a dead heat. Poor kid.:rolleyes:

Oh, and this was before the H-pipe and Flows were added to my car.

My buddy was talking smack with his 06 GTI and I mopped the streets with his car when mine was still bone stock. I beat him so bad he sold it and bought a G35, which I also beat :flag:

They wont, they handle very badly in stock for even with their Sport package option 96-01 (B5)

it would never win in a million years

:bs: not even close, 10hp avg

no...sorry but your completely wrong..this is a turbo car...it boosts the psi...giac claims 55 horsepower while apr claims 65...
heres a new giac extreme chip dyno run
http://www.vwfixx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34428
gained 60 rwhp

realistically most cars gain anywhere from 25-45 rwhp and like 50 ft lbs

yea that probably spot on... 30ish hp... the thing is with that tune.. people claim its not too safe... once u add a significantly bigger turbo, the motor blows...
i raced a guy with a jetta he had exhaust, downpipe, chip, and the ko4 turbo, thats the turbo they put on the tt.. it was also a horrible loss for the guy in the jetta...
tt's on the other hand... are quicker, i only pulled a few cars on the several that i have raced....

no...sorry but your completely wrong..this is a turbo car...it boosts the psi...giac claims 55 horsepower while apr claims 65...
heres a new giac extreme chip dyno run
http://www.vwfixx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=34428
gained 60 rwhp

You're in the other ball field, this (1998) is the 150hp version

Your link is for the newer 1.8t, with full exhaust, I even bet it is with a manual and fwd

Just because a company makes a claim doesn't mean it's true