1998 Cobra complete rebuild

VerbalKint

Feb 19, 2004
I have a 1998 Cobra with about 80,000 miles and, unfortunately, a spun bearing. I was thinking of selling her, but I am moving into a larger place with a larger garage, and have decided to completely overhaul the car instead.

Here's what I was thinking of doing, and I want people to feel free to comment or give me suggestions

Engine: Replace rotating assembly, maybe with a stroker setup. Plate hone the block. Get a port/polish on my heads, and possibly rebuild with a more aggressive cam. For my rotating assembly, I was thinking of going with a forged setup from MMA, but I was also thinking that a cast RA would suffice for my HP goals. The cam kit I had in mind is the FR500 kit from MMA, or the Ford Racing high lift cam set (are they the same? Can't tell from the website). My goal here is ~330whp NA on crappy california 91 octane, throwing some Torco octane booster in occasionally.

Suspension: Convert to a tubular front and rear A-arm and coilover setup. Swap out steering shaft with a solid replacement from Chicane. Swap rack and pinion (open to suggestions here). Weld in subframe connectors. Anything I'm not thinking of here? My goal is to make the car feel dramatically tighter and connected to the road.

Links I used:

Modular Mustang Racing

http://www.chicanesport.com/products...lt.aspx?id=207

I will probably start this project in May or June, with completion by June of 2010. So yeah, I have a while to do it. I want this to be a challenge, so I will do all the work myself, with the exception of the welding, head work, and plate honing.

Let me know what you think! I want to hear all suggestions you might have.

• Sponsors (?)