1998 Cobra - Starting Issues

cobralover

Founding Member
Sep 16, 2000
Big Lake, MN
Hi Everyone,

Just finally started driving around my 1998 this year, and ran into some issues. Car ran fine to my destination. We were there for a few hours. Left and stopped at next destination, and was only there for about 15 minutes. Turned the car, car sputtered, very low, wobbly, RPM, pushed the gas pedal all the way down, didn't make any change, car stalled. Tried restarting, just got the starter trying to crank the motor. I had another family member nearby, so we hopped in with them to finish up what we were doing thinking maybe the heat yesterday was affecting the car. Went to go try it again a few hours later and it would crank and crank, but never actually started.

Any ideas what could have caused this? The car has 88,000 miles on it. Doesn't look like it's throwing any codes, it just doesn't want to start. Any ideas what to focus on first? Ignition? PATS System (as far as I can tell is working normally), Fuel System (I can hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key)?

Thanks for any help!

Rick

• Sponsors (?)

Turn the key on but do NOT crank. Does the theft light go out after a 3 second prove out? IF yes, the anti-theft (PATS) is not your issue. The theft light going out "proves" the system meaning that PATS will allow the motor to start.

NOTE: Ford Factory PATS will NEVER shut the motor off after it has started.

The next thing I would focus on is a disconnected/loose sensor or vacuum line. The MAF, CKP, PCV, and upper intake tube can cause a crank with no start.

Have the battery tested. Check the grounds around the radiator core support.

Can you test the fuel pressure? It's possible for the FP to run and make noise but not move any fuel.

The theft light does go out after 3 seconds. I've tried starting the car with both keys, and both the light does go out.

I will check all connections shortly. The battery was replaced last year, and stored inside during the winter on a trickle charge. I suppose it's possible, maybe I'll try jumping the car from another vehicle with a good battery?

The fuel pressure is kind of what I'm leaning towards at this point. I tried pressing in the little schrader valve on the passenger side fuel rail after I've heard the pump, but nothing comes out (no fuel or pressure). Plugged fuel filter? Pump running but seized up?

Thanks for the help!

Rick

Turn the key on but do NOT crank. Does the theft light go out after a 3 second prove out? IF yes, the anti-theft (PATS) is not your issue. The theft light going out "proves" the system meaning that PATS will allow the motor to start.

NOTE: Ford Factory PATS will NEVER shut the motor off after it has started.

The next thing I would focus on is a disconnected/loose sensor or vacuum line. The MAF, CKP, PCV, and upper intake tube can cause a crank with no start.

Have the battery tested. Check the grounds around the radiator core support.

Can you test the fuel pressure? It's possible for the FP to run and make noise but not move any fuel.

I'd start simple. Check the vacuum lines like Mr Burns suggests. I had one come loose at the air intake that caused the issue you are having. Change the fuel filter 1st. It could have picked up some trash.

To provide some closure to this, I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. Primed the lines a few times by turning the key, and it fired right up! The previous pump must have just gave up on my last trip.

Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user