1998 Mustang v6 - Just replaced clutch and now have a tapping in throw out bearing.

komplex

Jul 2, 2009
I just finished replacing my clutch yesterday and was driving home and noticed a tapping coming from somewhere in the floor. I started the car up today and it was took me having to drive around for a few mins to warm up and it started again. The sound seems to start when I rev around 2000 to 3000 rpm and then I cannot hear it anymore, could be the engine drowning it out. The sound will go away if I push the clutch pedal in maybe .25 to .5". I would assume its pushing the throw out against the pressure plate fingers and stopping the vibrations. Tomorrow I am going to drive it around and put it up on stands to have a look and listen while someone revs it to see what it might be. I know I torque'd everything right, well hopefully... the haynes manual says gives two numbers like 45 to 55ft lbs so I will torque somewhere inbetween.

Maybe someone has experienced this or can tell me what to check out while I am under there to figure it out.

• Sponsors (?)

I dealt with multiple TOB issues in my 95 GTS... Did you apply wheel bearing grease to metal on metal surfaces? TOB, bearing retainer, pivot ball, and clutch fork? Also, check the bellhousing bolts for tightness. I've heard if those are slightly loose it can cause a tapping type of vibration. I'm kind of having the same sort of issue with my car too - little vibrations and rattles here and there that I can't figure out, so definitely keep us posted on here!

Didn't get a chance to look at it today. I will check the tranny to bellhousing and bellhousing to engine bolts for tightness. I did grease the fork pivot and where the fork snaps to the tob. Also greased the TOB where it meets the pressure plate fingers. I am thinking I might need to get an adjustable clutch cable as if I push the clutch pedal in enough to take the slack out the vibrations stop. You might wanna check your exhaust, I know some vibrations can come from there if stuff isn't tight. I will keep everyone posted encase anyone else runs into the same issue.

You only hear the tapping when you're in gear? Sometimes a u-joint will make a tapping when it's going out.

I just did my clutch too, and when I tested the clutch the first time, the stupid Chinese TOB that came with the kit shattered into several pieces. I had to get the car back together, and the old one didn't have any play, so I put it back in and I'm hoping for the best! :bs::fuss::owned::Damnit: