1999 Cobra Fuel Pump Test

ouray19

Jul 9, 2010
Bayfield, CO
Still working on getting my 99 Cobra back on the road and am having fuel pump issues. Car has been sitting for a period of time and I want to drain the old fuel from the tank. Fuel filter has been removed but can't get the fuel pump to activate. Is there a way to check voltage to the fuel pump without dropping the tank? There is good voltage to the inertia switch and it seems to be in good condition. Located the fuel pump relay in the passenger wheel well, but have not pulled it or tested it yet. Thought I would start at the pump and test for voltage at that point and then work back. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

If what you are trying to do is drain the tank, I can help. Disconnect the fuel filter and place a hose to direct the gas into a container.

Find connector C240. C240 is in the rear center of the gas tank under the bumper. It is a round connector the is easily visible from the rear of the car.

Open the connector and inject 12 volts to the RD/BK and BN/PK wires TOWARDS the fuel pump. This will make the fuel pump run at 100%. If nothing comes out, reverse the leads.

If anyone chimes in and says something about running the fuel pump at 100%, just relax. It won't hurt the fuel pump. Why? Because with the line disconnected, the pump will not be working against any head.

If you are trying to trouble shoot the fuel pump, let me know. It's not clear from the post. Note, on the 1999 Cobra, if there is power to the IFS switch, then the CCRM is working. There should be power to the IFS switch anytime the key is on. If not, STOP and find out why.

wmburns, thank you SO much. That is exactly the info I was looking for. I am trying to use the fuel pump to drain the tank but could not get the pump to run when I turned on the key. I do have voltage at the inertia switch. Am I correct in thinking that since I have voltage at the IFS, then the fuel pump relay in the CCRM is working properly? Thanks again for your help.