1999 Cobra Leaking Issue

Detroit Stang

Jul 19, 2014
Hey everyone, I just signed up. Hoping this site will help me with some issues I'm having with a 1999 Mustang Cobra I just purchased. Tonight after about an hour drive, I parked the car in the garage and I heard some dripping noises. Some water-like substance is dripping from the engine bay. It's located on the pass side, near the rear of the engine. At first I thought it would be coolant. However, it is mostly water. It's clear, and except for a hint of something, it's water. I checked the coolant bottle, and the coolant looks like it should, very green. What could this possibly be? This is the first time I've seen this. I've had the car for about a week without any issues. Any help would be appreciated! For more info, the car is a Cobra with a Procharger Supercharger (P-lSC). Thanks!!

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the reply Kilgore. Although, man, that's a lot of condensation. I collected it in a pan, and I'm guessing approx. 2 cups worth. I did run the car yesterday, without air, and there were no leaks after. So I'm crossing my fingers!

If you go under your hood and peak inbetween the firewall and the a/c condensor (you may need a flashlight or drop light to see) you will notice a rubber hose poking out from the firewall right above the passenger exhaust pipe. That is your condensation relief hose for the a/c. If you drive it next time, park it in the garage and look where I told you and you will see it start to drain. You should be able to hear the water burn onto your exhaust pipe as it is draining. But there is nothing to worry about with it, it is by design.

Reactions: 1 user
If you get a chance one day, take a look at a car in another lane sitting 1 or 2 cars up from you at a red light with it's windows up ( usually tells one that the a/c is running) and look below the car and you will see water draining onto the street, I see it all the time just by chance as I am always paying attentin to other cars around me. That is exactly what yours is doing only you are noticing it when it is parked.

Thanks stangr50h. I'll check for the tube as you say. And yes, I usually see the water drips on other cars as well, and even on my daily driver. I've just never seen it flow out all at once when it was parked like it did. It was indeed hitting the exhaust and burning off. Thanks again!

Thats all it is. My 2v. Puts it out the same way. Sometimes ill sit in my car for a few min after i get back from eating lunch at work and its dripped under the car down to the end of the parking space. Been like that for years. I can also hear it dripping when i get out of the car in my garage.