1999 V6 Will Not Start

Thumb

Oct 17, 2016
Hi everyone, I've got a '99 Mustang with a V6 and this morning it will not start. Plenty of battery juice, it just turns over without a hint of starting. Don't know if it's fuel related or ignition. It did this about 2 weeks ago but then I came back about 5 minutes later and it started right up like there was nothing ever wrong with it.

Any suggestions on what to look for, test, anything other than taking it to a shop?

I need to get this car running since it's my wife's car and if I can't get it running, she'll want to take my 2001 GT that I keep garaged all the time with only 6K miles on it! HELP!!!! :(

• Sponsors (?)

Well me being a lazy person by nature, I would get a can of starter fluid, open butterfly to throttle body, give a spray, see if it starts, then stalls about 2 seconds later. If it does, then you got a fuel problem. If not and you know engine is sound, it's spark related most likely. As long as your wife didn't tell you about any weird bangs, clunks, or noises before it stopped, it's usually one of the 2. If you have access to a obd 2 diagnostic tool, free at most tire and repair shops, and parts stores. Have them run diagnostic to be sure nothing additional is causing problems. Check first two, and you'll usually figure out if it's fuel or spark problem. As always post results, helps others with similar issues. Moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it started doing it again and I think maybe it's either a bad fuel pump or relay that's not allowing the fuel pump to work. I checked the fuel bar valve(or whatever that is called) and there is no fuel present at the engine, I can't hear the fuel pump come on when my friend turns the ignition on and I checked the fuse/relay switch that's in the trunk and it's working. I did use my obd 2 diagnostic tool and it gave me a bunch of numbers but I have no idea what they mean though.

IF the fuel pump does not run at initial key on, measure the key on voltage at the trunk mounted IFS switch and a KNOWN good ground.

IF voltage is present: THEN the problem is down stream towards the FPDM or fuel pump. In high mileage cars, suspect the fuel pump.

IF voltage is NOT present: THEN the problem is upstream in the fuse, CCRM, ignition switch, or wiring. More tests are needed.

Crank with no start check list:

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/336452-1997-mustang-wont-ignite.html#2984838

Note, for the 1996+ model year, PATS does NOT disable the fuel pump. PATS instead with holds the fuel injector pulse. Bottom line. IF the fuel pump doesn't run it's not because of PATS.

OK, my friend and I went through the whole system and voltages are all good from the front to the back. I went out and bought a new fuel pump today and will install it tomorrow thanks to my friend who has a lift in his shop it should be a piece of cake. I'll report back with the outcome.

Got the pump installed in about 2 hours after making another trip to the parts store for a new filter and a rubber gasket that that the filler tube goes into the tank. The car started right up!

on%20lift.jpg