1st gear problems

<<red pony V6>>

Apr 23, 2004
i'm having problems getting my car into first gear half the time. i'll be sitting at a red light, in neutral, and when the light turns green i'm struggling with the gears trying to get it into first, appearing to have a seizure, and everyone behind me is sitting there getting pissed off. i eventually have to just slam it into first, which probably isn't good for the transmission. does anyone know what would cause this and how i can fix it? :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

i know the feeling...i have a '68 VW microbus, the shifting bushing is worn out, and there is A LOT of slop in the shifting, making it easy to mistake 3rd for 1st, and sometimes is a bitch to get into gear...but i spose there is a difference between a 1968 Volkswagen and a newer Mustang

I sometimes have the same problem, though usually only with reverse, so I haven't held up traffic yet,. But anyway, I don't know why it does it, but usually, if i let out the clutch and put it back in, then it'll slide into gear like normal.

Don't worry, I have the same problem. It's just the synchros. It usually does it if you drop it from like 4th or so and coast to a stop and then try and put it directly in 1st. The synchros usually can't line up like that, so you gotta drop it into neutral, let out the clutch, and then put in 1st. I've virtually eliminated this problem for me by downshifting into 2nd when I'm coming to a stop, then when I'm actually stopped, I put it in 1st. I rarely have a problem now. But I know the feeling when you're sitting at a green light and you can't go anywhere cus you can't get it into gear and the people behind are mad and honking so you finally get it into gear and you mash the gas and leave two black marks and the people that were honking are left sitting there smelling burnt rubber and your exhaust. lol, I'm done now. :D

CManT1914 said:
... But I know the feeling when you're sitting at a green light and you can't go anywhere cus you can't get it into gear and the people behind are mad and honking so you finally get it into gear and you mash the gas and leave two black marks and the people that were honking are left sitting there smelling burnt rubber and your exhaust. lol, I'm done now. :D
:hail2: TORQUE :hail2:

I had an old Dodge that no-one could find reverse except me cause I got good at it. Anyways the problem was a bent shifting rod. All other gears were fine except that one.

Something to check at least.

yeah, let out the clutch after you've come to a complete halt when you're in neutral then put in the clutch and shift to first, and if you still have problems leave it in 4th and learn how to get going from a dead stop from 4th, lol.

check your clutch cable, and pull up on the clutch pedal a couple times until you feel it give. then step on it a few time and it may reset itself and work better. mine does this too sometimes but it doesn't need to slammed in, just hold the clutch in longer and slowly put it in. i get a little bit of grind sometimes and sometimes it goes smoothly in.