1st Post LT question

bloopbloob

Sep 27, 2006
Alberta
hey all. this is my first post on here but ive been reading the forums for over a year! not sure if im in the right spot. anyways, i just installed my 1 5/8 BBK LTs and OR xpipe, replacing - stock headers, gutted cat's,- still have my 2 1'2" dynomax cat back (not sure what muffler type but it's all dynomax). I have heard a lot of stangs with lt's and mine sounds weak!!!! i think it is quieter than before, and did not feel any notice in power... what could be up? thx.

• Sponsors (?)

Thats it? i hope so!. i figured the dynomax would probably be close to flowmasters, but maybe not. i thought i maybe have too much exhaust for my current set up. 70mm tb and egr, c&L 76mm maf system all going on next weekend, should this help the exhaust note with getting more air in, or do i need 'real' heads or intake?

well ive never heard dynomax before but the flowmasters are pretty loud. If you want something louder you could weld in some spintecs. the heads and intake will give you a better growl, but flowmasters alone will give you some sound (if you get ORIGINAL 40s which im sure you know all about).

not sure. they cat back was on the car when i bought it... i heard you get a little more power from the x over an h, which is why i bought this set up. maybe i dont need it now but i like to be putting out some decent numbers soon...

it will definitely sound different with the x, but i think it will be good. if you want the classic 5.0 sound go with flows. you probably have the same catback my car had...and i could hear my fan over my exhaust at full throttle. i welded up some flow 40s and not my car screams like a bat out of hell. i would like to recommend you go with spintech pro streets with that setup if you want loud and mean, flows are a constant winner, and dynomax race bullets are cheap as hell and sound mean with l/ts and an x. just my 0.2

thanks for the tips! could those mufflers be killing the performance of the LT's then? i heard 25-35 hp gains are realistic with lt's and x or h pipe over stock. Never done any mods that add that kind of hp before, but i should be able to easily feel an icrease in power right? I can't tell a difference from before and after the install!

thats the problem though! even in the high rpms it doesnt sound very good. pretty quiet and a bit raspy... i had checked out tons of sound clips of even stock 5.0s with just LT's and x or h-pipe and they sounded BAAAD! mine is like a caravan that dropped a muffler!

thats the problem though! even in the high rpms it doesnt sound very good. pretty quiet and a bit raspy... i had checked out tons of sound clips of even stock 5.0s with just LT's and x or h-pipe and they sounded BAAAD! mine is like a caravan that dropped a muffler!

Do you have converters on the X? If not then it's the mufflers. Also you can't always trust a sound clip because microphones always pick up or miss things that your ear doesn't.

no convertors its an O/R xpipe. had the fronts gutted before and the rears cut out... maybe thats part of why i'm dissapointed now. i found some flowmaster 40's for $100 each i can get in 2 days, but i'll look into spintechs too. prices are high and selection is limited here in canada though! get most of my stuff from the states. hate the shipping times though! my LT's took over 3 mos because they got lost and then customs ripped everything apart! missing stickers and bolts and nuts etc.. etc.. they even stole some of my stickers! but left the paper they came on!!! a-holes! what if i just cut out the mufflers and ran str8 pipes? bad idea? it's just so quiet now, i wonder if that would give me the sound i want and save me $250? also the passenger side needed an O2 extension, so should i put the other one on the drivers side too? i heard different lengths can change resistance and therefore readings..... any truth to this?

When i first got my car, it had stock headers, an offroad H and 2 chamber Flows dumped, and it was LOUD.

Then i bought all new exhaust from the engine back, all MAC, full lengths and a Prochamber, and their Flowpath cat-back with tail pipes and it was HALF as loud...i'd say just barely louder than a stock 5.0 exhaust. So, i cut the tail pipes and went back to dumped....much better.

Then i got bored and switched to an X....MUCH louder now. Then i did what we call the "Brown County 1 Chamber" mod (lol) and cut my 2 chambers in half...now it's rippy as hell up top and rumbly down low.

I am going with Spintech the next time around though.