1st time to track with new gears..

slo65

May 26, 2003
Southern California
first off sorry if this doesnt belong in tech,

1st time to the track with my 3.73's 2nd time to track ever, my best run on stock gears was 9.7 @ 76 mph, this time with the 3.73's it was 9.4 @ 77, i know there's more in the car but i couldnt get the 60 foot down too far, my first 60 foot was 2.4 i shaved it down to a 2.2, that was the best i could get on street tires, so my question is.... whats my car good for with a good driver? keep in mind its on new street tires, now to the tech part of the question

i missed 2nd twice, it seems like my clutch isnt fully disengaging its hard as hell to get it into first, 2nd and 3rd gear, i basically have to force it what could this be? please help me out guys.. thanks in advance :flag: :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

For your clutch problem, I would first suspect the adjustment of the clutch itself, if you're talking about your Fox body. It is "self-adjusting", but the stock plastic adjuster is prone to failure. You can try to get it to adjust by pulling the clutch pedal up towards you as you sit in the seat, and then push it to the floor. The adjuster (if working correctly) will index a new spot on the cable (as long as your cable's not stretched too far, your clutch isn't too worn, or your adjuster's not shot).

If it's your 65 you're talking about, your adjustment is down on the other end of the cable, at the clutch fork attachment point. It's usually locking nuts tightened against each other.

If it's not a clutch adjustment issue, then your shifter / shifting forks on the Fox, shifter linkage on the 65 that may be causing you problems, due to bent linkage / fork ends. On your fox, the forks have little Teflon tabs on the ends of them where they ride down in the groove of the synchro assembly, and if these tabs are shot or missing, you can also experience similar difficulties getting it in gear.

"Worst case" scenario is that you've bent one or both of the forks in the T5, or your synchros are worn too much to block and synchronize correctly in whichever car. You can try to cure sticky synchros / blocking ring assemblies by replacing your current tranny fluid with a high quality synthetic fluid. After a few miles, your problems may diminish or disappear. Good luck and sorry for the ramble.

its the fox i'm talking about, even in the staging lanes clutch's to the floor, i'm in first gear and it inches forward so i have to rev up with the parkin brake up, so u think maybe the cables stretched? i'm gonna have my friend look at it he's the one who helped me put in the clutch any other suggestions on what it could be? i know i could of gotten a couple of tenths by just shifting faster, i had to bang it into 2nd and slowely try to get into third, it feels super notchy like there's a wall preventing me from going into gear, and if this helps at all. when i sit in traffic and i go from 1st to 2nd to 1st i hear a loud "clunk" from the trans :shrug: thanks guys

First of all.... good times, that is about the drop I saw with gears. You definatly need to get some more traction, but first I would look into your clutch issues. Like mentioned before, the stock self adjusting quadrant is probally worn out and the stock cable has probally had it. I had the same issue. When I changed them out (PITA) I noticed that the quadrant was on the last tooth that was stripped, the stock cable was all crapped up, not near as nice as the new one. Once you get that taken care of, look into some suspension mods and stickier tires until you get into the sub-2 second 60's.